Author Topic: Do you know where this pump is in Wicklow?  (Read 7697 times)

Offline sunnyseeker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Do you know where this pump is in Wicklow?
« on: Friday 08 April 11 22:21 BST (UK) »
This photo was taken in Co Wicklow in 1945 and I'm hoping that someone may recognize the pump and can identify the location for me. It is a picture of my uncle when he visited the county after serving in Europe in WWII. All he knew at the time was the family originated in Wicklow. He and my Dad, his brother, took a bus from Dublin to wherever this is, and then went back to Dublin the same day. It is impossible for me to decipher the plaque on the pump. Both my uncle and my Dad have passed away and there is nobody to ask.

Offline JAD81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Do you know where this pump is in Wicklow?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 May 12 12:16 BST (UK) »
Hi, I don't know exactly where this is and I'd say the pump is long gone but it's definately the big sugarloaf behind the boulder and it looks like the side facing the main Roundwood road. I pass the sugarloaf everyday, I'd know it anywhere! I'd say photo was taken either along the main road somewhere or perhaps on the lane towards Calary church. Hope this is of some help!
Donnelly,Dublin. Curtis,Dublin. Doyle,Wicklow. Purcell, Offaly. Dwyer,Tipperary. Nolan,Wicklow. McGowan, portlaoise. Buggle, Wicklow/Dublin. Little,Dublin. Carroll, Wicklow. Mulligan,Wicklow.

Offline sunnyseeker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
COMPLETED - THANK YOU - Do you know where this pump is in Wicklow?
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 May 12 15:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much JAD81.

I'm not in Ireland but will sure make a point of going to Roundwood on my next visit. In the meantime I'll see if any of my Irish relatives feel like going for a drive and checking this out for themselves.  I guess my Dad and Uncle were rather off-track on their guess where our roots were - close to the intersection of Wicklow, Carlow and Wexford.

Ann

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 May 12 15:54 BST (UK) »
I'm not seeing the same detail in that photo - to me the large rounded object behind and slightly right of the man & dog is a stack of Hay, the object behind that to the right is the roof of a house with a chimney..

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline JAD81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 May 12 16:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne, it's in Wicklow and not too far from Wexford! Hopefully your relatives can help you out. If I get a chance I'll have a look myself for you and try to pinpoint it, will keep you posted:) I was flying back from London recently and i have to say I'm not the best flyer so when I see the sugarloaf on the landing approach it always makes me happy, like I said, I'd know it anywhere!!
Donnelly,Dublin. Curtis,Dublin. Doyle,Wicklow. Purcell, Offaly. Dwyer,Tipperary. Nolan,Wicklow. McGowan, portlaoise. Buggle, Wicklow/Dublin. Little,Dublin. Carroll, Wicklow. Mulligan,Wicklow.

Offline sunnyseeker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 May 12 16:09 BST (UK) »
Hello again

What in the picture do you identify as Sugarloaf?

I've seen it from Powerscourt but can't identify anything in the photo that looks like a mountain or even a hill. Behind the haystack it just looks like another low building. I've enhanced the photo as much as I could but still don't see anything but rather flat farmland with a house behind the haystack.

Offline breenbyrne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 May 12 22:37 BST (UK) »
I agree with the haystack and cottage with smoking chimney behind it - I can't make out anything remotely like the Sugarloaf.  Can you make out the writing on the pump at all?  Any chance that might shed a bit of light on the location?
Brady - Rathmines & Terenure, Dublin
Breen - Laois
Byrne - Rathmines, Dublin
Griffin - Listowel, Kerry, Wales & USA
Hall - Rathfarnham, Dublin
Hegarty - Listowel, Kerry
Hickey - Listowel, Kerry and poss USA
Kennedy - Terenure & Rathmines, Dublin & Dunlavin, Co Wicklow
McKenna - Laois
Quill - Listowel, Kerry
Shepherd -Warrington, UK
Green - Warrington, UK

Offline sunnyseeker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 24 May 12 02:04 BST (UK) »
I've tried enlarging the photo but still can't read the writing on the pump. It was an old black and white snapshot - not very large to begin with - which I scanned at the highest resolution that I could.

It's truly a needle in a haystack to think about finding this location. Someone who lived in that area who remembers a pump and somehow recognizes the house is probably the only one who could say for sure where it is.

Offline JAD81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 24 May 12 16:24 BST (UK) »
Well I owe you an apology, I feel like a prize idiot!! I thought the house was the sugarloaf...should've gone to specsavers:) in my defense, I showed it to a few people and they agreed it was the sugarloaf, I printed it off and enlarged it and only then I realized it was a house. Im very sorry, guess I don't know it as well as I thought:) good luck with your searching!