Author Topic: Win7HP-using Aust discs  (Read 4065 times)

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Win7HP-using Aust discs
« Reply #9 on: Monday 11 April 11 01:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris
Got your PM
I meant for you to ask Alan P. about QFHS discs - he uses our QFHSDatasearch program on lots of the discs he produces for various family historians etc.
Anyhow, have emailed the creator of the system and if he's home we should have a reply very shortly.  Of course he may be over at the library working  in which case shan't get a reply till tonight.

Will keep you posted.
Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 11 April 11 04:17 BST (UK) »
I have Windows 7 32 bit.  There is a problem with the Society of Australian Genealogy discs but there is information on their website how to address this.  This link also covers Windows7
http://www.sag.org.au/helping-you/technical-support/115-vista.html

The AIGS Early Australian Rolls are not compatible in that the complete page from the database does not display all the information however by simply clicking on each individual enrolment, the complete record for that person is displayed in form view.

I was advised to install Virtual PC but never use it.

Cheers
Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cristobel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 11 April 11 05:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks Cando.  Have read the link you provided and later on will have another read to 'absorb' the details.

There must be plenty out there using the same system who are managing their older software, so I'll have to learn to cope with it.   ::)  Just taking it one step at a time for now.

I'm sure it will be worth it when I finally switch from this old computer to my new one.   ;D

Cheers, Chris.

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 11 April 11 11:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Cris
Have received reply from our Tech guru.  He was surprised at your proactive approach!!

Re using CDs with the QFHSDatasearch dbase which Cando seems to think 'not compatible' because it doesn't show the complete database, he says:

"The simple answer is YES it should run OK. She may need to run the secondary setup in FurtherSystemFiles Please let me know if there are any complications."

Cheers
Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 11 April 11 12:36 BST (UK) »
I am a bit puzzled....I don't have any QFHS discs and looking at my CD's I can't see any reference or acknowledgement of QFHSDatasearch dbas.  I note that the publishers of the early electoral records have recently re-released the information contained on two CD's on a DVD.

Why should the tech be surprised at someone taking a proactive approach...there has been a lot of discussion on various forums about the problems encountered with Windows 7 and Digger software.

Along with Dee I have no problems with my other older software, including many directories, cemetery records etc....and I think it could be said that we both took a proactive approach when purchasing new computers with Windows 7 ;) ;D

Cheers ;D
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cristobel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 11 April 11 13:27 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I've been playing around can see where the QFHS discs have 'Further System Files'.  So once the first bit is done at least I know how to proceed from there if need be.

Have also put in the Digger discs  and when you open up the drive, they give you a list of folders including 'instal' and setup - don't know which one to choose - did I tell you I'm not a computer guru  ::)

Would be easier if I just had the old - setup - run etc etc.  and away it went !!!!!

It's all a learning curve at the moment and the more I play around the more I learn. 

My son is visiting on the weekend and he's pretty clued up in these matters, so if I'm not organised by then, or tearing my hair out,    :P  I'll be passing the buck.

Dawn, please say thanks to your computer guy. At this stage haven't installed anything - just getting my head around it.

Yes, Cando, just wanted to try & avoid any foreseeable problems.  For me it's easier to confront it now rather when the damage is done.  Plenty of discussion on Windows 7 and various software, but reading about it, and doing it are two different things.   Maybe it's called senior moments  ;D

Cheers, Chris.

Offline cristobel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 11 April 11 13:30 BST (UK) »
I only have 2 QFHS discs - one an electoral roll, the other 'Leader Deaths - SA' - the latter I use all the time, and would hate to be without it.

Chers, Chris.

Offline PeeCeeBee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 11 April 11 23:54 BST (UK) »
Good on you Cristobel.  When I sent an email to the Digger people regarding this problem I was told I would need to upgrade to a Windows Pro version as I have the 64 bit computer... (I was reluctant to do this, having already paid out for what I bought).  I'm like you in that I am not all that computer literate...and it irritates me that you have to educate yourself somewhat in order to know what you should be buying!!!  I have continued using the discs on my old computer, but will now follow through on the advice that has been given here, and may actually be able to transfer the usage to my new laptop, which was one of the reasons I purchased a laptop - not knowing anything about 32 or 64 bit.  Thinking back I did wonder why the Digger people couldn't upgrade their linkage (or whatever you call it), as Bigpond Security did... yes, I had to wait for that too!!!
Regards
PCB
Franklin - Mauritius
Zibell - Prussia, Australia
Frankham - Keynesham, London, Australia
Day - Minchihampton, GLS ENG
Folland - Barnstaple, DEV ENG
Pauley - Australia
Mewett - Australia

Offline cristobel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 15 April 11 05:59 BST (UK) »
Hi,

An update on the progress of runnings the discs.  I have a day off work, so it's back to getting the new laptop up & running.

Thanks Dawn M - the QFHS have installed with no hassles.  I was so pleased.  You can tell your tech. man that it went smoothly.   ;D 

Other CD's have also run through their set up with no probs.

I'm just starting on the Digger ones and so far so good.  Got fingers, toes & everything else crossed  ;)

Cheers, Chris.