Author Topic: /GAGAN/GAIGEN / GOGAN / GEOGHAN  (Read 3174 times)

Offline thombenn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
/GAGAN/GAIGEN / GOGAN / GEOGHAN
« on: Saturday 09 April 11 14:17 BST (UK) »
I've found out that my great great grandmother's madien name was one of the above, depending on which birth, census or otherwise record it says.

Her father was called Michael and was born in about 1801 in Dublin. At the time of the 1861 census he was married and living in Salford Lancashire England with his wife and daughter, my GG grandmother.  He was a fustian cutter by trade.

If anyone could help me to trace his ancestry back or where I could perhaps find a record of his birth I would be very grateful.

Thombenn

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: /GAGAN/GAIGEN / GOGAN / GEOGHAN
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 April 11 14:31 BST (UK) »
Michael's birth is well before the start of full civil registration in Ireland (1864) so you would need to check for parish records to find details for him and his family. To start this you first need to know the family religion and where they lived at the time, i.e. which parish, so you can check what baptism records (if any) are available for his family.

Dublin can refer to the city or county, and covers quite a number of parishes - not all of these have records back as far 1801. Do you have any idea what part of Dublin he came from (i.e. parish, part of the city, suburbs or county) ?

Geoghan is a reasonably common surname, so knowing a location (or some other clues, such as siblings) could be a vital clue to finding the correct family. Many parish record for Dublin (mostly the city) are available of www.irishgenealogy.ie

See also :

My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?

Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline thombenn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 April 11 15:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shane, Afraid I know nothing really about this chap, all I found out was that it stated "Dublin" on an English census of 1851 and his year of birth worked out at  abt 1801.  Not much to go off is it?   Also the spelling is confusing.

Have a feeling I'll hit a brick wall with this one.

thombenn

Offline Nailer1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 July 11 00:28 BST (UK) »
Another spelling of the name is GEOGHEGAN, pronounced as GAIGEN