Author Topic: Day family, Antigua and Sierre Leone  (Read 53054 times)

Offline nicola0709

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Day family, Antigua and Sierre Leone
« Reply #45 on: Saturday 27 April 19 11:15 BST (UK) »
I have to admit, a m a bit of a novice, but I have a copy of a document (This Family Record 1724-1904 compiled by Frederick William Jackson - the elder - and presented to his Grandson Reginald Carmalt Jackson March 22, 1904) which lists out the family history (Jackson / Lodington / Soares / Henshaw / Carmalt / Day and a few others.)

It mentions a Thomas Lodington who married a Ann Golding Day, Daughter of John Day B: 1773 D: 1777 and Sarah Smyth B: 1735 (from Antigua). They had a daughter Ann Lodingtong 1795-1865 and she married 'the Chevalier George Ramsey" - no children to this marriage.

I was doing a search to find information out on this George Ramsay and came across this thread... where it mentions a George Ramus (??) with the odd mention of Ramsey.... then read further and saw the connection to Antigua.

I hope that this thread is still being monitored. I am wondering if my Ann Golding day is your Ann Slater Day (??). I haven't looked into the Day connection in Antigua, so many of the people mentioned throughout this post (except the lodingtons/jacksons etc) are not familiar to me.

I am one of those descended down through the Lodingtons and Jacksons here in Australia (Canberra), but come through the Frederick William Jackson who moved out here after the death of his wife Eleanor Ann Henshaw.

Offline Downcraig

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 28 April 19 21:38 BST (UK) »
Hello Nichola - thanks for your information - I continue to follow this thread and am interested in your post - I wonder if you could confirm the dates you have - John Day b. 1773 - d. 1777 cannot be correct as that makes him only 4 years old. Could you confirm what your F W Jackson presented. Also could you confirm Sarah Smyth's date of birth as that would mean she was 60 yrs old when Ann was born. I am interested to know where the name Golding comes from too. I like the Ramsey for Ramus connection though. It is a complicated web. I am descended from Elizabeth Day daughter of John of Antigua and possibly Sarah Smyth though I have not been able to make a definitive connection with Sarah. However, it is good that you have that name specifically in your record as it has so far been conjecture. Many thanks and let's see if we can prove anything beyond doubt.
Kyle, Sibbat, Rea/Rae, Haw/Hall (All Portglenone)
Day (Antigua)
Lamont (Greenock)
Currie, McPhail, Morison, McArthur (All Craignish/Kilmartin area)
Ferrier (Cardross)
Logan (Larbert)
Paisley (Paisley)
Croom, Speid (Dundee)
Bushell (Liverpool)
Longton (Stockport/Liverpool)

Offline James R. Yeowell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Charles Frederick Yeowell
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 29 May 21 04:13 BST (UK) »
Greetings everyone.

It's been quite some time since I was last here and I apologise greatly for that. Life has been busy.

Anyhow, the reason for my post is to fill in a gap I had in my tree re. Lodington/Jackson families.

You may well have all this information yourself but if you have not, then it will not hurt to quickly highlight things.

The link in question is as follows:

As we know, George Jackson married Elizabeth Maria Lodington and had 12 children.

Of those children, one of them William Day Jackson (born 22 Oct. 1832, Camberwell, Surrey, chr. 3 February 1832, St. Giles', Camberwell, Surrey, died 8 July 1917) married and had children.

He married in 2nd Quarter, 1865 in Camberwell Registration District, to Clara Louisa Pritchett.

Clara Louisa Pritchett was born 1st Quarter 1842 in St. Pancras, London and interestingly is the daughter of the landscape artist Edward Pritchett who painted a lot of scenes of Venice during the 1830s and 1840s (see his Wikipedia entry). There's scant information on Edward Pritchett sadly.

They had 4 children, viz.

1. William Henry Jackson, born 2nd Quarter 1866, Peckham, Surrey (married and had issue, see below)
2. Caroline E. Jackson, born about 1869, Camberwell, Surrey
3. Annie Clara Jackson, born 1st Quarter 1874, Camberwell
4. Elizabeth Jackson, born between 1874 and 1881, Camberwell

1. William Henry Jackson married Mary Kathleen McCally, probably in Canada. Mary was born about 1881, likely in Vienna, Ontario, Canada. They may have married in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, as that's where their 2 children were born.

They had 2 children:

1. Margaret B. Jackson, born 22 Jan. 1915, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States of America
2. Robert Lodington Jackson, born 19 June 1916, Philadelphia, died 3 November 1989 in North Carolina. He married in 1952.

I thought it worth highlighting this branch, just in case anyone was not aware of it.

I have not traced the 3 daughters of William Day Jackson and Clara Louisa Pritchett yet.

Best regards,

James Yeowell
Yeowell (everywhere)
Lodington (everywhere)
Gerrard (Stoke Abbot)
Day (Antigua & London)
Broade (Benefield, Southwick, Turnastone, Mordiford)
Hereford (Sufton)
Pershall/Peshall (Horsley)
Ward (Lambeth, Bloomsbury & Westminster)
Stevens (Paddington & Oxford)
Hold (Newington & Winchmore Hill)
Ginger (Great Gaddesden & Flamstead)
Chidwick (Paddington, Chalfont St. Peter &Trowbridge)
Parrett (Paddington, Romsey, Fisherton Delamere, Dinton & Broad Chalke)
Davis (Oxford)
Clarkson (Newington)

Offline James R. Yeowell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Charles Frederick Yeowell
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 29 May 21 04:42 BST (UK) »
John Day b. 1773 - d. 1777 cannot be correct as that makes him only 4 years old.

Downcraig, I think 1773 should read 1733, as that's the christening year I have for John Day, of Antigua. This would also fit with my long-held hunch that John Day, of Antigua was the son of John Day (the wax chandler) and Lydia and was christened 12 August 1733, at St. James Garlickhithe, London, as has been mentioned in a different thread previously.
Yeowell (everywhere)
Lodington (everywhere)
Gerrard (Stoke Abbot)
Day (Antigua & London)
Broade (Benefield, Southwick, Turnastone, Mordiford)
Hereford (Sufton)
Pershall/Peshall (Horsley)
Ward (Lambeth, Bloomsbury & Westminster)
Stevens (Paddington & Oxford)
Hold (Newington & Winchmore Hill)
Ginger (Great Gaddesden & Flamstead)
Chidwick (Paddington, Chalfont St. Peter &Trowbridge)
Parrett (Paddington, Romsey, Fisherton Delamere, Dinton & Broad Chalke)
Davis (Oxford)
Clarkson (Newington)

Offline nicola0709

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 29 May 21 05:27 BST (UK) »
Yes, apologies   Typo from my end. Should be John Day 1733-1777

Offline lester john martin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 14 August 21 10:54 BST (UK) »
Hugh McKenzie is in my family tree they sailed from St jOHNS on a Brig that they built called BROTHERS of 121 tons Reg. No. J840006 Hugh died in Albany and his son took over also Captain Hugh McKenzie and he gave the Brig to his brother Keith that went to New Zealand Hugh was 71 when they left St John
regards Lester

Offline brothers-searcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 20 September 22 03:31 BST (UK) »
Hi, it's been some time since I have checked this site, but I am revisiting my research on the Day family and have found a reference on Ancestry to the "Child Apprentices in America from Christ's Hospital, London 1617-1788". The book is available digitally on Ancestry and when I checked the introduction to the book it details the sources used to compile the listing.

The item shows that John DAY was admitted in April 1742 and it reads "John Day, baptised 12 August 1733, son of John D., wax chandler, admitted from St James, Garlickhithe; 3 February 1748 to his mother Lydia D. to serve Mr John Holliday of Antigua, merchant."

With the date of admission in April 1742 I checked the burial register for St James Garlickhithe and found a burial for a John Day on 5 May 1741. Unfortunately there are no ages given in the Garlickhithe burial registers so I can't be certain that this is him but the fact that his son John was admitted so soon after to Christ's Hospital (or Bluecoats School) which was for fatherless children to get an education (among others) there is a good chance that this is John Day wax chandler.

https://search.lma.gov.uk/scripts/mwimain.dll/144/RESEARCH_GUIDES/web_detail_rg/SISN+54?SESSIONSEARCH this is the link to the research guide for the records.

The Children's Registers (CLC/210/F/003/MS12818); Presentation papers (CLC/210/F/004/MS12818A) are available on microfilm at the London Metropolitan Archives to view and I assume take copies of. The presentation papers contain petitions submitted by parents, guardians etc which provide personal and financial details of children's families.

I visited the LMA in 2019 but did not have this information at the time :(

I live in Australia and will not be getting to London again any time soon.  I wonder if there is someone who lives more locally who would be willing to go to the LMA to check this reference and get any copies available?

The Garlickhithe registers also detail a burial in 1750 for a Lydia DAY, and another in 1770 for a Lydia DAY, again there are no ages given so it is difficult to say for certain that these are relevant.
I did find a baptism for a Lydia DAY born to a John DAY and his wife Lydia in St Mary le Strand in 1730. The presentation papers may give details of siblings of John's that might help to clarify whether this baptism is within the same family. Other family burials in this register include Harbitt 10 Sep 1737 and Margaret 12 Jan 1738. (Harbitt was baptised at Garlickhithe in 1737 and Margaret was baptised also at Garlickhithe in 1735)

At this stage my hypothesis is that this Lydia (b.1730) is the elder sister of John (b.1733) and then that the Lydia that is buried in 1750 is the mother, wife of John DAY wax chandler and that the Lydia who is buried in 1770 is the daughter born in 1730 and therefore sister of John DAY of Antigua. John DAY and Lydia CARTER were married at St Nicholas, Leeds in Kent 27 Dec 1729. (Some indexes have it as Broomfield in Kent but the image I have is from the St Nicholas, Leeds, Kent Register, which could have been a chapel in the parish of Broomfield)

All this would indicate that John DAY of Antigua was the only member of the family to leave descendants.

I hope this adds some leads that can be followed up and add to the research.

Lorraine
Down - Colney Hatch, Tiverton Devon, Pilton Devon, East Down Devon;
Barker - Dumfries Scotland, Castlemaine Victoria, Sydney Australia;
Lodington - London
Rutherford - Dumfries, Earlston, Hownam, Chatto
Maxwell - Dumfries, Munches
Harris - Newcastle on Tyne
Mann - Gloucester
Wheare - Cornwall
Morris - NSW; Victoria
Anseline - NSW
Fenwick - NSW; Newcastle upon Tyne