Author Topic: Accessing Parish Records  (Read 1165 times)

Offline Chris1969

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Accessing Parish Records
« on: Friday 11 June 04 08:31 BST (UK) »
I'm sorry if this seems like a stupid question, but here goes

I've got to the point where I need to be able to look at parish records to take my family further back. I know which parish I'm interested in, but who do I write to or where do I go to be able to see the records.

Any help or advise would be gratefully received

Cheers

Chris
Name Interests: Wells, La Roche, Skingle, Coleman, Capen, Edmonds, Atkinson, Cox, Brett, Onion, Atwill, Sheldrick, Taylor, Lefebvre, Mecklenburgh
Places: Camberwell, Lambeth, Southwark

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline newbie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re:Accessing Parish Records
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 June 04 11:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris, I'm new to this as well but I had a quick look at the GENUKI site, and searched for Parish Records which led me to this site :
http://www.familyrecords.gov.uk/topics/religious-2.htm
This had some excellent information.
From my trips to the Berkshire Record Office I know that there they hold most of the Parish Records for Berkshire as well as Berkshire Census and the National GRO BMD Index, so probably you need your local County Record Office.  Some Libraries also hold information but not all. If all else fails I would ring up the local (the area in which I'm researching) Registry Office and ask them.
Someone else may have further information(and better)
When I have used Freebmd to search for births etc I've found clicking on the registration district takes you to an explanation and from there you can find out where the records are held
Good luck,  Pauline.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Chris1969

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 June 04 15:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Pauline

Following links from that link I have been able to find out that the records I'm after are held at Canterbury Cathedral, so now I've just got to see if I can get down there

Cheers

Chris
Name Interests: Wells, La Roche, Skingle, Coleman, Capen, Edmonds, Atkinson, Cox, Brett, Onion, Atwill, Sheldrick, Taylor, Lefebvre, Mecklenburgh
Places: Camberwell, Lambeth, Southwark

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sylviaann

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Isabella Barette
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 June 04 15:52 BST (UK) »
You can usually get to look at the Parish Records and many others, census, BMDs at your local Family History Centre (The Mormons).  They are the ones that did the IGI and have most of the records on film.  check out www.familysearch.org  for your nearest centre and the catalogue for what they have.  They make a very small charge for ordering films.  BMD is free

Sylvia
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Norfolk: Gooch, Loveday, Lake, Betts
Suffolk: Gooch, Crosby, Turner
Hampshire: Laws, Burrows
Kent: Beer
Jersey: Barette, de Gruchy
East London: Middleton, Gower, O'Farrell, Smith, Weston