Author Topic: Millers Carlisle?  (Read 1954 times)

Offline youngjo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Millers Carlisle?
« on: Monday 11 April 11 10:47 BST (UK) »
hi all....

Tracing the Miller side of my family tree....have a record for my great grandmother Rachel and was hoping someone might have links to other members of the family. Rachel married my Great Grandfatther John T Young (Horse Dealer) in Hexham 1915. She was the second youngest from this record but they could have had more children. How could I find out more? They were Hawkers and I dont know if they were travellers.

23 Old Broad Quarter Caldegate Carlisle Cumberland
George Miller head 44 hawker b. Carlisle
Mary J wife 39 b. Brampton
Richard 17 son  hawk (this has been added to the original census page) b. Carlisle
John W 12  b. do
George H 10 b. do.
Elizabeth 7 b. do.
Rachel 6 b. do.
Isaac 2 b. do.

Hope soemone can help me x

:)

Offline youngjo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Millers Carlisle?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 April 11 11:39 BST (UK) »
The year for that record was 1901.....

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 April 11 22:53 BST (UK) »
1891 census RG12/4290/33/12
16 Jane Street Caldergate Carlisle
George Miller 28 general hawker born Carlisle
Mary J 26 Brampton
Richard 8
John W 2
George H 1 month
All children born Carlisle

George and Mary J's ages are a little out but otherwise all details are correct.

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 April 11 23:18 BST (UK) »
I looked for a marriage for a George Miller and Mary J ? between 1878 and 1888. There are two in Carlisle
both in the March 1/4 1885 both with the same page numbers and volume numbers Mary Jane Mason and Mary Jane Hutton. There is also another male on there so a coincidence that they both married a Mary Jane?  I know this marriage is afer the birth of their first child Richard but it did happen :)
The way to settle who is the mother of Rachel (and wife of George) would be to buy Rachel's birth certificate. The details on FreeBMD Rachel Miller Sept 1/4 1895 Carlisle 10b page 568b.
The page numbers don't usually have a letter after them but I looked at the original and it is on there.

Offline youngjo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 April 11 09:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks Crisane, 

I have a Marriage cert for Rachel and it says her father is george Miller but it may not be the case......
My sister is going to order the Birth cert and hopefully that will sort it out!!! Thanks so much for your time and help....ill have to keep ploughing on with this family history.......

j x

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 April 11 10:38 BST (UK) »
Hi
There is a tree belonging to a Joe Gilmour on ancestry which has George Miller and Mary Jane Mason as the parents of Rachel however here aren't any sources named. I think his interest is Mary Jane Mason as he has her parents and  grandparents but doesn't go further back for George but also hasn't followed his and Mary Jane's children after their births.
He also has a private tree with a more recent date to it but unfortunately it is private so I can't access it.

Offline youngjo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 April 11 11:22 BST (UK) »
Thats interesting Crisane, Im sure there are others who have found out more, can these people be emailed?

J x

Offline MrsBarlow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 March 24 21:32 GMT (UK) »
I have Millers in my family tree, beginning with William Miller/Millar b 1799 in Cockermouth. His children included Isaac Miller b1822 in Richmond, Yorks. This started a whole string of Isaac Millers through subsequent generations, and also Phillis or Phyllis as a common name. Most of them were Hawkers, of china, tin goods and later fish. Although they certainly travelled, I don't think that they were Travellers, if you see what I mean. They always appear in censuses either with family in houses or staying as lodgers
Wilson-northumberland. Pearce-buckinghamshire and hertfordshire. Barlow-cheshire. Sheldon-staffordshire. Puckey-anywhere.