Author Topic: Where is this place in Leitrim?  (Read 6799 times)

Offline Boudicca95

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where is this place in Leitrim?
« on: Monday 11 April 11 14:47 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone

A week or so ago I posted a part of my great great grandfather's discharge papers to be deciphered - there were a few ideas but nothing definite. So i thought I would try here.

On the papers it shows he is from the county of Leitrim, Inch Parish and the towns looks as if it is Blackriver - but might not be as it is hard to read. It is Black....something.

I have found out the Inishmagrath is also called Inch - is this correct? Also where could this town be? I could repost the part of the discarge papers if this helps.

Thanks.

Liz

Link to deciphering post- www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,521767.msg3768169.htm

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where is this place in Leitrim?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 April 11 15:17 BST (UK) »
Black River, in the civil Parish of Cloone, in the Barony of Mohill, Co.Leitrim
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 April 11 15:37 BST (UK) »
There were 17 Civil Parishes as opposed to 24 Church parishes. 

Offline Boudicca95

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 April 11 17:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks - I'll have a go at locating it on googlemap.

Liz

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 April 11 17:30 BST (UK) »
It's on the very South of county, almost on border with Co Longford, between Cloone and Drumlish.

Offline Jim I

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 April 11 00:02 BST (UK) »
Hallmark
Where did you get this from?  I have quite a lot of maps etc of Leitrim and I can't find it at all.  Can you be more specific or perhaps post a link?

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 April 11 02:25 BST (UK) »
I looked up Black River on Co. Council website.

The difficulty is that "he is from the county of Leitrim, Inch Parish and the towns looks as if it is Blackriver".. I looked up the townland in Inishmagrath but nothing corresponds to what is posted, and I could be talking Civil Parishes while Liz is talking about Church Parishes!

There is a Blackrock townland in Kiltoghert Civil Parish and that is in under Inishmagrath Parish on council's website of 17 Parishes, which seems very contradictory. The 17 Civil Parishes are on the website but not the 24 church parishes which obviously must have different boundaries.

http://www.leitrimcoco.ie/eng/Services_A-Z/Library/Placenames-of-Leitrim/Placenames/ gets you the 17 Civil Parishes! Liz mentions a Parish but doesn't say if it's a Civil or Church Parish, so are we comparing Apples to Oranges?

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 April 11 02:29 BST (UK) »
From website;

Many Leitrim placenames are now available on www.logainm.ie, the site of An Coimisiúin Logainmneacha. However, the Irish versions of many townlands are not yet available on this site.

As an interim measure Leitrim Co Library has updated the versions of the names produced by John O’Donovan during the Ordnance Survey in the 1830s. These names, townlands mainly, have been listed here under civil parish. The meaning of the placename in English is also given.

Generally speaking, the name as interpreted by O’Donovan has been left as it was. An Coimisiúin Logainmneacha will, in time, come up with the definitive version but, in the meantime, this listing will give versions which can be used and will, in most cases, be correct.

To find a townland

"In the original O’Donovan’s Name Books the placenames were listed under Civil Parishes. There were 17 Civil Parishes as opposed to 24 Church parishes. People are more familiar with Church Parishes and the church parishes are listed below, referring you to the relevant Civil Parish"

Offline Boudicca95

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 April 11 08:34 BST (UK) »
Again - thanks for the info. I think the parish is the church parish, but the discharge record is unspecific, so it's just a guess.

Any idea where I can get birth records from for the area? My relative Miles Murphy is proving very elusive!

Liz