Author Topic: Barrow Track Old Graveyard  (Read 4896 times)

Offline nholloway

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Barrow Track Old Graveyard
« on: Tuesday 12 April 11 03:10 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know where I could find out who is buried in this graveyard or where?  The stones dont have names on them.

This is the old Graveyard on the Barrow Track, where the park is.

Thanks

Offline irishrose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Barrow Track Old Graveyard
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 April 11 11:55 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
Not sure where the records are held, or how extensive they are.   A call to the Carlow Library history section may help. They are very helpful and may be able to point you in the right direction.    From memory I know this is a really old graveyard.  It was used for cholera and famine victims during the Great Famine of 1847 so there would be a lot of unmarked graves.   It is linked to the Catholic church.     Hope thats of some help to you
Irishrose

Offline nholloway

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Barrow Track Old Graveyard
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 April 11 15:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks for coming back to me.  I will try and contract the Library as suggested.  I am abroad at the moment so not too sure what information they will be able to give me.  It all helps tho.  I didnt know about the famine victims, interesting. 
But my gg grandparents are buried there and that would have been after the famine time.  Unfortunately, we dont know too much about them as regards dates etc.  Apart from that then I guess the Church records.  Are they available to the public to search through.  We will be in Ireland this summer.
Thanks again
Nuala