Author Topic: Baptism (possibly) at Silkstone  (Read 1172 times)

Offline Holmemoss

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Baptism (possibly) at Silkstone
« on: Tuesday 12 April 11 11:25 BST (UK) »
Joseph Hoyle and his wife Ann/Fanny/Nanny and family moved from Barkisland to Silkstone in the mid 1780s.

Their earlier children were baptised at Ripponden chapel and then a daughter, Hannah, at Silkstone on 21 Jun 1789.

I have just found the marriage of a Harriot Hoyle to William Burgon at Cawthorne on 31 Mar 1822. The IGI does not give a father's name for Harriot.

William and Harriet are living at Cawthorne in the 1841 census with Hrriet giving her age as 45; so she was born 1791 to 1796.

There is no baptism of any Harriet Hoyle on the IGI but I believe she may be the daughter of Joseph and Ann/Fanny/Nanny.

Does anyone have early baptisms at Silkstone, or possibly Cawthorne, to check for Harriet?

Thank you.
All WRY (Holmfirth/Linthwaite/Rastrick /Elland/Kirkburton/Barnsley)- Broadbent, Brook, Cartwright, Charlesworth, Dawson, Earnshaw, Ellis, Flather, Greaves, Hallas, Hirst, Holroyd, Houghland, Hoyle, Kilner, Littlewood, Mallinson, Mitchell, Morton, Scargill, Schofield, Swallow, Taylor, Youle

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism (possibly) at Silkstone
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 April 11 18:04 BST (UK) »
Hi

Joseph and Ann also christened David at Silkstone 13.11.1785, which might narrow down the date of the family's move.

The IGI extracted records for Silkstone appear to be reasonably complete, but I wonder if 'Hannah' is actually a mistranscription of Harriet? Sadly, Barnsley FHS transcriptions for Silkstone baptisms appear to begin at 1800, but perhaps some kind person with access to Huddersfield library could check Hannah's baptism as I'm fairly certain they have the Silkstone registers on film, as do the WYAS offices.

Regards,

Lesley

Bradley, Gledhill, Dodson, Norcliffe, Kaye, Matthewman- all Berry Brow/Almondbury
Webster- Northowram
Brick wall: Maria Blaymires  c 1800 Northowram

Offline Holmemoss

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism (possibly) at Silkstone
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 April 11 08:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Lesley, and I apologise for the delay in response but I have been away.

I do not think Hannah is a mis-transcription of Harriet. I have a marriage for Hannah; to George Greenhough on 6 Feb 1815 at Cawthorne.

I think this is the only Hoyle family in Silkstone having moved there from Barkisland, so Harriet/Harriot 'should' be part of the family, but it would be a leap in the dark without her baptism.
All WRY (Holmfirth/Linthwaite/Rastrick /Elland/Kirkburton/Barnsley)- Broadbent, Brook, Cartwright, Charlesworth, Dawson, Earnshaw, Ellis, Flather, Greaves, Hallas, Hirst, Holroyd, Houghland, Hoyle, Kilner, Littlewood, Mallinson, Mitchell, Morton, Scargill, Schofield, Swallow, Taylor, Youle