Author Topic: 1911 census mystery  (Read 7266 times)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: 1911 census mystery
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 06 April 11 23:45 BST (UK) »
presumably in Buchanhaven or Peterhead

Have you just looked at the index entry or have you bought credits and viewed  the entry as it will show his birthplace and his parents names
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline ZanT

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
David Buchan/Mathew??
« Reply #10 on: Monday 11 April 11 14:45 BST (UK) »
Having acquired the  1911 census from SP of my grandmother Margaret Buchan and her family, I discovered there was a David Buchan aged 8 listed as a son to M B’s parents. As I never knew of his existence he was a mystery as I was unable to locate a birth certificate for him. It later turns out he was adopted for reasons unknown. His birth name was David Bruce McWilliams Mathew, born 1903. His mother Sarah Ann Mathew (Park) died when he was a month old, his father James Cow Mathew remarried in 1904. It also transpires on the 1901 census for James and Sarah, he had four brothers William, Charles, James and George.  The 3 older boys remained with their father at 11 James street, Peterhead after their mother died, while George went to at some point to Aberlour Orphanage, where he died in 1904 aged 5.
Is there anyone researching the Mathew family? As I am curious as to why David would have been taken in by my family, who I’m sure would not have been able to afford the upkeep of another child. There is no indication that the Mathew or Park family are related to the Buchan family.
McLean, Buchan, Bruce, Buchanhaven, Peterhead and Scotland.

Offline DBG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 15 September 11 21:29 BST (UK) »
Hi I am David Buchan's grandson can you please contact me

thanks
David

Offline DBG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 15 September 11 21:44 BST (UK) »
Hi I am the grandson of David Buchan. (peterhead)
can you please contact me.

David