Author Topic: 1722 settlement certificate look-up - Mew  (Read 3101 times)

Offline Shalena

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
1722 settlement certificate look-up - Mew
« on: Wednesday 13 April 11 01:23 BST (UK) »
I would love some help to find the answers to the following...

I found a Sussex Parish Record that showed there were settlement indemnity bonds & certificates handed to a Thomas Mew, wife and family at Hastings, St Mary-in-the-Castle, on 17th April, 1722. 

Further to this, there was one for a Thomas Mew, and wife Lucy, of Uckfield, Sussex on 30th November, 1753.

I would have thought it odd to have settlement certificates handed out twice to the same man, but to be certain, could someone please do a look-up to see:

a:   If they are indeed different men with the same family name, and
b:   Where the first Thomas & family, in 1722, came from

Thank-you,
Shalena

Brookes - Rotherfield. Carroll - Cork S.Ireland. Campbell - Dornoch. Cunnison - Moulin,Perthshire.  Forbes - Moulin. MacKay - Sutherland,Scotland. MacGregor - Inverness. MacIntosh - Dornoch.    Mew - Buxted,East Sussex. Monro - Sutherland. Murray - Creich,
Sutherland.  Pollard - Buxted, East Sussex. Priestley - Newington.  Reid - Logierait,Perthshire. Ross - Dornoch.  Sayers - Warnham,
East Sussex. Scot - Logierait,Perthshire. Weaver - East Sussex.

Offline davidmew99

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1722 settlement certificate look-up - Mew
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 March 12 22:35 GMT (UK) »
I have just come across your query. Perhaps you have solved it by now. I have recently obtained a copy of the Uckfield/Framfield certificate for Thomas and Lucy Mew. I believe their children were born between about 1791 and 1801. If that is the case then it is unlikely that the Hastings Thomas Mew is one and the same person as I would imagine he was too old to have fathered the children.  I have not proved any direct link yet, but my I suspect that Thomas Mew's ancestors may have moved from the Hastings area originally.

Kind Regards  David Mew

Offline Shalena

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 March 12 08:30 GMT (UK) »
David,

Thank-you for answering.  As it so happens I had not solved the puzzle as I had got distracted with other things, so I was pleased to hear from you.

Like you, I surmised that the dates didn't quite add up but wondered if there was any link as the same names often crop up in family lines.  So saying, do you hail from the Mews that abounded in the (mainly East) Sussex area?  Would be nice to know where you fit in as it is a paternal line of mine.  Oh yes, nearly forgot; it was thought that there were family origins in Hastings, but very difficult to find out whether as a separate English 'Mew/Mews/Mewes family', or descended from when the French Meuxs fled France.  Hastings, at that time, would have been a prime port to head for.

Regards,  Shalena

Brookes - Rotherfield. Carroll - Cork S.Ireland. Campbell - Dornoch. Cunnison - Moulin,Perthshire.  Forbes - Moulin. MacKay - Sutherland,Scotland. MacGregor - Inverness. MacIntosh - Dornoch.    Mew - Buxted,East Sussex. Monro - Sutherland. Murray - Creich,
Sutherland.  Pollard - Buxted, East Sussex. Priestley - Newington.  Reid - Logierait,Perthshire. Ross - Dornoch.  Sayers - Warnham,

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 March 12 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi both,

From what I can see in the a2a database, the certificate for the 1722 Thomas Mew and family is found in the Hastings All Saints parish records.  His wife was Mary.

For the Uckfield Thomas Mew, the settlement certificate is found in the Framfield records.  At least three children are recorded in the Framfield baptism records with the parents named Thomas & Lucy.

There is also a Thomas & Elizabeth Mew in Framfield at that time.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Shalena

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 March 12 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello Nell,

Thanks for that...at least we can be certain they are different people/families.

It appears from the research we have done with the Mew line from East Sussex, that there are many sons born that have the name Thomas handed down.  So we generally take a second look if this name crops up in that area.
Some we can tie in, others not, but the further we go back the more problematic it gets, as I am sure you are aware!

Regards,
Shalena

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 10 March 12 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello Shalena

There were only 2 Mew children Baptised in Hastings.

Elizabeth,31-12-1721,daughter of Thomas & ?
John,16-5-1725,son of Thomas & Mary

Sorry if you have this info already

Kind Regards

omega
Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline Shalena

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 10 March 12 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Good-morning omega,

Thanks for your input, all help is gratefully received when it comes to tracking down these relatives as I am far from being an expert in the field.

I have the following noted with regard to both an Elizabeth & John Mew born at the sort of time you are talking about, but the details are a bit out:

John Mew bap 12/5/1695, Framfield, Sussex  -  married  -  Elizabeth (nee Weaver) bap 13/2/1697, parents of
William Mew bap 30/11/1720, Little Horstead
* Elizabeth Mew bap 26/12/1722, Little Horstead
* John Mew bap 25/3/1725, Buxted
Mary Mew bap 27/12/1726, Buxted
Thomas Mew bap 14/4/1729, Buxted
Edward Mew bap 11/5/1733, Buxted

There follows a miriad of sons born to the family line named either Thomas or John, (as well as quite a few Elizabeths), but the dates do not match up with the time in question.  It is also unfortunate that they often married girls with the same, or very similar, names as those before...which confuses the issue further!

Your input was much appreciated.
Regards,
Shalena

Offline davidmew99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 14 March 12 23:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello Shalena

In your reply you asked if I hailed from the Sussex Mews. The answer is yes!
I am descended from Thomas and Lucy Mew via

Moses              bap 14/12/1766 Framfield              Bur 2/6/1816 Marden
Michael Mew     bap 22/4/1798 Marden                  Died 1880 Q1 Maidstone
William Mew      bap 6/12/1840 East Farleigh         Died 1895 Q3 Woolwich
Sydney Samuel Mew born 12 Feb 1888 Charlton    Died 22/2/1964 Charlton

For Thomas and Lucy I currently show 5 Children
Lucy Mew         bap 14/24/1754      died 8/3/1834
John Mew         bap 8 Aug 1756      died unknown
Michael Mew     bap unknown         died 21/23/1821
Moses Mew      bap14/12/1766       died 2/6/1816
Thomas Mew    I am pretty sure he was a sibling, but I have not been able to track down any details as yet.

The only information I have on Thomas and Lucy is that I believe Lucy was buried on 4/12/1793 in Marden where thier sons John and Moses has relocated.

You mention Thomas and Lucy are in your paternal line, what route does your ancestry link you to them?

Kind regards  David Mew

Offline Shalena

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 March 12 15:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi David,

Having looked into the 'stuff' I have here, I think I have come across a Thomas and 'Lucy' that, (going by the dates of bap you supplied), seem to fit.  I do hope that I have got the correct line, but the information going back that far was supplied by a rather elderly woman, another long lost, distant, relative whos writing, due to near blindness, was not the clearest to decipher.  I can no longer confirm anything by telephone either, as she sadly passed away.  Anyway, here is what was sent to me:

John Mew bap 12 May, 1695, Framfield...(had sister Ann bap 13/2/1697, Framfield.)

John married Elizabeth Weaver on 4/5/1718 at Little Horsted.  (Elizabeth bap 13/2/1697, Framfield).

Known children x 6
William Mew bap 30/11/1720, Little Horsted
Elizabeth Mew bap 26/12/1722, Little Horsted
* John Mew bap 25/3/1725, Buxted...(He is our line, close, but not directly from Thomas & Lucy!)
Mary Mew bap 27/12/1726, Buxted
** Thomas Mew bap 14/10/1729, Buxted...(Your possible line?)
Edward Mew bap 11/5/1733, Buxted

**  This Thomas married an Elizabeth Teeling, who was known as 'Lucy'!  They married 26/4/1753 in Uckfield &
      I believe 'Lucy' was buried 25/8/1811, aged 80yrs, at Framfield...which would give her year of birth as
      c 1731.  Thomas I have as dying 1807, at Framfield.  This is what was noted on the chart sent.  Also:

Children of Thomas & 'Lucy' x 5

Lucy bap 14/4/1754, Framfield
John bap 8/ ( it looked like April (Ap) but may be August (Ag) as you said) 1756, Framfield
Thomas bap ?/2/1759, Framfield
Richard bap 7/6/1761, Framfield
* Moses bap 14/12/?  It could well be your 1766 if this is the correct man.

I have no note regarding a Michael, but there would have been a chance he was missed out/not known about.
Neither have I bought copies of certificates for these people as to do so for all the family line would cost a bomb.

Your Moses was not the only biblical name noted...going down from the Thomas (son of Thomas & Lucy), via 2 more Thomas's we come to Seth, Levi and Obadiah Boar!

Glad to welcome you to the Mew clan David. ;D  Should you wish to, you can contact me via the personal messaging service on here and I will give you my e-mail address.

Best wishes,
Shalena