Author Topic: William Irvine of Roberton  (Read 9256 times)

Offline loobee589

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Irvine of Roberton
« on: Wednesday 13 April 11 06:18 BST (UK) »
I am searching for any info re. my 2 X Gt Grandparents William Irvine & Rachel Beattie of Roberton, Selkirkshire/Roxburghshire, Scotland. William was employed as a labourer at Milsington between circa 1818 - 1833. William's parents were also a William Irvine, mother Mary ?. Any info would be much appreciated.

Offline pasca56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: William Irvine of Roberton
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 August 11 01:16 BST (UK) »
 I do not know if this William Irvine is the father of my William Irvine or not.  My ggg grandfather William Irvine was born 18 Nov 1830 in Scotland.  He emigrated to the US in 1873 from Ireland with wife and family.  A possibility?

Offline jellybeans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 August 11 03:58 BST (UK) »
loobee589, have you looked on Ancestry? There are a number of public trees there with William and Rachel, however William's father is named as Magnus & mother Margaret.
Lancashire, England: Barlow, Butterworth, Clegg,  Lord, Howarth, Morris, Peak, Pickup, Walker, Wilkinson.
Ayrshire Scotland: Dyet, Irvine.
Cornwall England: Cock.
Wexford Ireland:  Murphy.

Offline loobee589

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 August 11 05:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your repies. Going by William's burial record his parents were a William Irvine & Mary ?.

Offline harvoid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 August 11 01:36 BST (UK) »
hi I have William Irvine Married Mary Allan on 23mar1800 at All Saints,Newcastle on Tyne,Northumberland son William born about 1800 Newcastle England died 16feb1865 at his home "The Wattie"Scotsburn,Canterbury,New Zealand.William and Rachel had 10 children one a William born 18nov1830 at Contin,Ross and Comarty,Scotland married Ellen Common on30may1852 at Loch Healsh,Scotland died26sep1921 at Georges Creek,Victoria,Australia
Cormack,Sutherland,Hymers,Harvey,Heney,Fergusson,Campbell,Doull,Taylor,Young

Offline harvoid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 August 11 03:30 BST (UK) »
you may like to read the posts on the subject line Royal Household in the Scotland general section of roots chat
the Elizabeth Irvine b 23sep1822 and married to William Campbell on 23jan1843 is the 3rd child of William and Rachel Irvine

Offline loobee589

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 August 11 07:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Harvoid. I have also noted on ANCESTRY the William Irvine & Mary Allen Family, however my family knowledge does not correspond with the son William of this couple. This William went to USA where my William was the one that married Rachel Beattie, who d at Contin. Wiliam emigrated with some of his children to NZ and died 16 Feb 1865.
William & Rachel's son William married Ellen Common and settled in Australia, while daughter Elizabeth married William Campbell and stayed in Scotland.
Because I have no earlier info other than what is stated on his burial record of parentage of William Irvine & Mary ? and being born circa 1799/1800, I am at a lost as to proof.
Because of his life at Roberton, Roxburghshire, I believe he had an elder sister, Elizabeth who married Robert Laidlaw and settled at Guelph, Canada.

Re. the Royal Household article on Rootschat was posted by my brother, Mike.     

Offline harvoid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 05 August 11 23:33 BST (UK) »
My information comes from a book called "A Good Scotch Shepherd" ,you may have heard of it.I sent 5 pages of it to your brother Mike in Jan 2009.

William and Mary had a daughter ( Jane) born 1801 Newcastle on Tyne,dont know anything about an Elizabeth?I can put you in touch with the people who researched the above book if you like.
I am going to Australia later on today so wont be contactable for a least a week

Offline loobee589

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 06 August 11 01:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your offer of contact the said person re. the book. I have a copy of this book as they are on my line an am able to contact them. I do not believe their info to be correct as their seems to be no definitive written proof of William Irvine & Mary Allen being the parents of my William.