Author Topic: GLENN family of Burley  (Read 4889 times)

Offline Seeker33

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
GLENN family of Burley
« on: Thursday 14 April 11 01:47 BST (UK) »
Hi RootChatters
I am looking for information on the GLENN family from Burley near Oakham. William Glenn born 1716 Burley married Alice Winterton born 1720 Burley on 15 Oct 1742 at Stamford Baron St Martin, Northampton. Why there and not at Oakham? Subsequent generations of James and Thomas were in Rutland until Henry turned up in Wigston Magna as a grocer. Would like to know if anybody know more about the Glenns in Rutland. My friend, Viv maybe going over there soon and wished to know where the family started.

Regards
John Hosie

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: GLENN family of Burley
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 April 11 16:32 BST (UK) »
There are various tree on Ancestry.co which shows the family back to Richard Glenn born in Leasingham, Lincolnshire in 1580.

Regards,
David

Offline Seeker33

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 April 11 03:43 BST (UK) »
Hi David
Thanks. Have looked them up on Ancestry. The trail travels back to Richard b1580. Going up my tree, it seems to get shakey after Henry b 1816 until William b1716 and then OK. So I have to find whether Henry's parents were Thomas and Elizabeth Woods, and then James and Mary Unknown (nobody seems to know her name!) and then William and Alice after that. All seem to be Rutland with John Glenn b1695 coming from Lincolnshire. William and Alice had a William too and families seem to be tracking that one and not mentioning too much about James. I will check it out. Thanks again. Must have not put in the right search info when I tried earlier.
Cheers
John

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 April 11 15:47 BST (UK) »
...and why not get married at Holy Cross Church, Burley as it was built in the 12th century so maybe she was living/working in the place they married, maybe her part of the family moved.

Some Wintertons are still in the area Burley/Exton/Empingham areas later on for example Ann Winterton was born in Empingham in 1805 , same with the Glenn's, some stayed in the area so it isn't like it was a 'family' move to elsewhere.
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 April 11 16:10 BST (UK) »
Hi John,

Looking at the censuses, both Thomas and Henry Glenn were tallow chandlers living in Bell Street, Wigston. Both born in Oakham and match the dates on IGI as the children of Thomas Glenn and Elizabeth Woods.

It might be worth posting a message on the Leicestershire board to see if anyone can help with the marriage details for Henry - i.e. giving his father's name. Presumably this was to Sarah Groocock, Jul-Sep 1840 in Blaby district. The marriage might have been in Mowsley, where Sarah was born, or perhaps she had moved to Wigston. St Wolstan's church is quite close to Bell Street.

Regards,
David

Offline Seeker33

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 April 11 04:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info David and iluleah.
I will tell Viv about "possible" relatives in the Burley area. She might try Glenns but as you would know, most people do not know much about anything back past their grandparents, let alone 7 generations back! There is always the Church!
I thought I had Henry as a grocer on one census. I assumed it was Sarah Groocock. I was doing a rough fit for a line back. If Viv goes to some of these places such as Wigton, she could check local records. As I go back before Registration, dates and people and places get harder to work out especially from over the pond. I was hoping to find out about Mary, James's wife because we are talking about a marriage c1775 in Burley. Found him on familysearch but did not give her a surname.
Cheers
John

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 April 11 09:28 BST (UK) »
Hi John,

Just a small point on the occupation of Henry. In 1851, he is listed as a grocer and tallow chandler.
Details of his will are on Ancestry, in which he is also listed as a grocer and tallow chandler. He died at 83 Laurel Road, Leicester.

The Leicestershire Records Office has parish registers for both Leicestershire and Rutland and is actually situated in Wigston, opposite to the end of Bell Street.

See - http://www.leics.gov.uk/record_office.htm

You can download a list of the church records held there.

Regards,
David

Offline Seeker33

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 April 11 02:14 BST (UK) »
Hi David
Thanks for that info.
Cheers
John