Author Topic: John McKenzie, born Fordyce 1806  (Read 4931 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: John McKenzie, born Fordyce 1806
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 05 September 19 14:11 BST (UK) »
I don't have any information about James McKenzie and Jean Bain other than what I said above - just making the point that the marriage of James McKenzie and Jean McBain in Dyke 1765 cannot be the same couple who were having their family over 40 years later in Fordyce.

It looks as if the record of the marriage of James McKenzie and Jean Bain around 1800, if it ever existed, has not survived. There is a small possibility that it might be in the records of the Episcopal Church, which are not available at Scotland's People. A transcription of these records does exist and someone may have access to a copy they could check for you.

The first thing you need to do is look up the baptisms of all four recorded children of James McKenzie and Jean Bain and see what they tell you. They might, for instance, tell you the names of witnesses to the baptisms who might provide clues to earlier generations. You can view these at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk - it's pay-per-view, but modestly priced compared with some.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Greywanderer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 05 September 19 22:21 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for that information and advice, I will look along those lines. I appreciate your help very much, cheers.

Offline TanMcK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 10 April 20 07:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Greg & Susan,

I have read your responses about John McK and Anne Mellis. I have similar info as listed, I too am trying to trace the line of my dads family back as far as I can and also expand to current relatives living in both Scotland to (other countries) and Australia where I am.
Keen to go to Scotland too, I have no further ancestors above Johns parents James & Jean which I would love to find.
My line is as follows:
1- JAMES McK b?? d1822? married Jean BAIN (had 5 kids)
2- JOHN McK b28/04/1806 d17/10/1888 married Anne MELLIS (had 10 kids)
3- ROBERT McK b19/10/1844 Portsoy SCOT d23/05/1930 Warrnambool Vic AUST married Ann TRIGG (had 13 kids)
4- JAMES ANGUS McK b28/08/1872 & d20/01/1933 Warrnambool married Flora BEARDSLEY (had 3 kids)
5- JAMES McK b12/11/1903 Warrnambool & d26/12/1967 Shepparton married Alma WISELY (had 2 kids) - my grandparents
6- IAN JAMES McK b01/11/1935 & d05/04/1996 Shepparton married Nancy Elizabeth SIMM (had 5 kids) - my parents
Lost dad many years ago and gma in 2002, trying to reconnect.
Not much info or pics, although a great-aunt Pearl (McK) WILLIAMS of Warrnambool researched and printed a book many in the late 80s which is not very detailed.
Love to chat, learn and share their journey.

Tanya McK

Offline Greywanderer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 20 April 20 01:29 BST (UK) »
Hello Tanya,
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. It is good to hear from a distant relative, it seems our line joins with my great great grandfather Alexander McKenzie (son of John McKenzie and Anne Mellis) and his brother Robert (your ancestor). I do have a fair bit of info I can share with you, a great deal supplied by Susan.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Regards Greg

Offline TanMcK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 02 May 20 08:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Greg,
great to hear from you and be related.
where are you located, Aust or Scotland?
Moderator of site removed your email details as per regs. They advised to PM (personal message) but I cant access this either to send details to connect.

would love to connect I am on most platforms use your username as ref of who you are as I have no other details to confirm.
takecare hope to keep in contact

Tanya McK

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 02 May 20 09:12 BST (UK) »
You can PM now as you've made a couple of posts. Welcome to RootsChat by the way. :)
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 02 May 20 10:03 BST (UK) »
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline StringerAustralia

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 25 November 23 01:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello Tanya,
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. It is good to hear from a distant relative, it seems our line joins with my great great grandfather Alexander McKenzie (son of John McKenzie and Anne Mellis) and his brother Robert (your ancestor). I do have a fair bit of info I can share with you, a great deal supplied by Susan.

Hi Greg and others,

I know it's been a few years since the last post in this thread, but I'm also descended from John McKenzie and Anne Mellis via their son William McKenzie (born 1829). Would love to connect and share / receive any extra details with other descendants of the Warrnambool McKenzies.

Darryl