Author Topic: Rice family 1861 census please  (Read 1159 times)

Offline jilly willy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Rice family 1861 census please
« on: Saturday 23 April 05 20:23 BST (UK) »
Hi list
I hope I'm doing this right as it's my first time here :)

I am looking for a Mary Ann RICE (nee COLLINGS) in Devon aged abt. 35yrs. with daughter's Elizabeth & Mary Jane, and hopfully her husband Charles Rice.

I have her on the 1871 & 1881 but she is with her second husband Cornelius Richard Ackland and the daughter's have taken his name.

I can't find Mary Jane's birth anywhere  ??? so hoping she is on the 1861

Many thanks 
Jill
King - Bristol
Palfrey - Somerset,Bristol & Cardiff
Burford - Somerset & Cardiff
Ballard, Minards - Northampton & Cardiff
Collings, Rice -Devon

Offline Jaki

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Rice family 1861 census please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 April 05 00:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Jill

Welcome to Rootschat. You will find the people here will always try to help.

As the 1861 Census is not indexed do you have any further information you can give? Things like place of birth, year of birth, where you would expect them to be.

Do you know when Mary Ann married Charles Rice? I have found a couple of possible entries for her in 1851 census under Rice and Collings.

The more information you are able to give the better the chance of finding them.

Waiting to help

Jaki
<i>OK Charles Henry Kingwell when did you arrive in Australia????</i><br /><b>Coates</b> - Warwickshire, Staffordshire??<br /><b>Hall</b> - Warwickshire, Yorkshire<br /><b>Hirst</b> - Yorkshire<br /><b>Kingwell, Bulley, Bunce</b> - Devon<br /><b>Sample</b> - Northumberland, Durham<br /><b>Shipp</b> - Gloucester<br /><b>MacGillivray, Grant, Forbes, McBean</b> - Scotland

Offline jilly willy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 April 05 18:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Jaki
Thanks for the reply. :) My Mary Ann COLLINGS states on all the census that she was born Devonport, her father was named James.

She married Charles RICE (a private in Royal Marines) on 23rd May 1854 in St.Marys Devonport her address looks like 21 Doidges Well. Charles father was named John, I am unsure where he was born. ???
Both her children Elizabeth & Mary Jane state born Plymouth but havn't confirmed yet.

Mary Ann gave her age as full on this cert. but her age when she remarried on 24 March 1867 to C.R.ACKLAND was down as 36yrs and her address was 2 Martin St. Plymouth.
She died 27 Oct.1901 in Bristol aged 75 so her birth year is abt.1825-31.
Sorry the reply is so long.
Many thanks  :)
Jill
King - Bristol
Collings, Rice -Devon

Offline Jaki

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 April 05 05:57 BST (UK) »
I am really having no luck finding things for people lately ....   :'(

Have looked and looked and cannot find a Mary Ann Collings that matches your time frame that is born in Devonport.

Sorry i could not be of help.

Jaki
<i>OK Charles Henry Kingwell when did you arrive in Australia????</i><br /><b>Coates</b> - Warwickshire, Staffordshire??<br /><b>Hall</b> - Warwickshire, Yorkshire<br /><b>Hirst</b> - Yorkshire<br /><b>Kingwell, Bulley, Bunce</b> - Devon<br /><b>Sample</b> - Northumberland, Durham<br /><b>Shipp</b> - Gloucester<br /><b>MacGillivray, Grant, Forbes, McBean</b> - Scotland

Offline jilly willy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 May 05 16:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Jaki
Sorry I havn't replied earlier, but been having computer problems :'(
All fixed now I hope :D

Don't worry about not finding the RICE family for me they will show up somewhere I'm sure.
Many thanks for your time again.

Jill
King - Bristol
Collings, Rice -Devon