Author Topic: Creighton - Roscommon to US  (Read 13071 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Creighton - Roscommon to US
« Reply #27 on: Friday 15 April 11 14:50 BST (UK) »
This is the 1910 Family Thomas was with in Chicago Ward 34, Cook, Illinois

Thomas Creighton 50 Marriage 1 for 21 years. Immigrated 1891. NA. Proprietor. Saloon.
Mary Creighton 42 Immigrated 1885
Andrew Creighton 20 Born Illinois. Clerk. Wholesale House.
Mary Creighton 18 Born Illinois. telephone Opeator. Telephone Company.
Thomas Creighton 14 Born Illinois
Michael Creighton 6 Born Illinois
Thomas Creighton 24 Immigrated 1906. PA
Joseph Donohue 24 Boarder
Michael Gara 23 Born Ireland. Cousin. Immigrated 1906. PA
Regards
Sandra

Hello Fran,

Taking a look at Michael Gara who was also described as a cousin on that 1910 Census - maybe he might lead you somewhere  ??? (you never know !!)  According to his WW1 Draft - the name is Michael Joseph Gara. Born 4 th August 1887 Roscommon. Ireland. Single. Alien. Residing 2113 Sheffield Avenue. Chicago. Illinois. Occupation:- Motorman for Chicago Surface. He is tall. stout with blue/grey eyes and dark brown hair. No distinguishoing marks. Dated 5 th June 1917

On the WW2 Draft - Michael Joseph Gara born Roscommon 5 th August 1887 (one day different)  and  residing 7457 Rockwell Street. Chicago. Has a wife Catherine Gara. Self employed tavern owner at 1951 Milwaukee Avenue. Chicago. Cook. Illinois.

On the Naturalization Card he is Michael Joseph Gara (O'Gara) living at 1234 Eddy Street. He arrived in the US on the 9th November 1907. Naturalized 3 Dec 1920. The names and addresses of witnesses don't give any clues - the names were:- Thomas J Ahern and Patrick Cassidy.

No clues yet !!!

Regards
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 15 April 11 14:56 BST (UK) »
The 1907 passenger list is under Michael Gare. Born about 1886 Drozheda and aged 21 years.
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England  and arrived in New York on 9 Nov 1907 on the Lusitania.
Last residence Ashton-In-Makerfield. England. Brother Thomas Gare. Ashton-In-Makerfield. Going to brother Dominick Gare. Larkhall. Arkansas.

Was really hoping to identify his parents but no such luck - only 2 brothers  !!

Regards
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Franlynch

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 15 April 11 15:06 BST (UK) »
i just sent a reply and it didn't seem to come through. 1 have 3 creighton trees that i am trying to tie in together, 1 of them being mine.  on one of the other trees i do have a Michael Creighton (1823 - 1915) married to Anne Gara (1832 - ?) who had a son Thomas born 1852.

Offline Franlynch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 15 April 11 15:12 BST (UK) »
Sandra, from iPhone so I'll be brief - Internet still down, Thomas did have a brother Michael but he was my grandad and stayed in Ireland so it's nit him, that's sad though - winder if he's related
I was wrong Sandra - I thought we were talking about Thomas 1882 being murdered but it was Thomas 1860 - he did have brother Michael - as death cert testifies. I found the death cert, Thomas Creighton, Ireland, signed by Michael Creighton, brother, Name of father is Thomas.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 15 April 11 15:26 BST (UK) »
Michael Creighton and Anna O'Gara are familiar because I looked at a death record yesterday for another son Andrew Joseph Creighton born 10th March 1860 Langhalyam. Ireland and who died in Cook. Illinois 2 November 1932.  So that is interesting.
All you can do is document as much evidence as you can for the Creighton family and that might mean going back one further generation to see where the links may be coming from - there seem to be so many of them in Illinois - all seeming to use similar names which makes life difficult. So could Michael Creighton 1823 be a brother of Andrew Creighton in your line ?
Think I saw the birth record for your Thomas Creighton as 1852 to Andrew Creighton and Marie Mannion.

Regards
Sandra

Offline Franlynch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 15 April 11 15:56 BST (UK) »
Thomas 1852 to Andrew and mannion isn't mine, he's the one who married Tarpey - I have a feeling that records have been transcribed or deciphered incorrectly because he's shown in 1910 census as being born in 1860. I am going to document all my dates and known facts over weekend. I have no choice :(:(:(

Offline Franlynch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 15 April 11 16:14 BST (UK) »
Are beta and pilot search both the same - if not which is more accurate

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 15 April 11 17:06 BST (UK) »
Should be the same really, allowing for human error !! Yes, Sorry I was on the phone and multi-tasking - yours was Thomas and Mary McGarry.  Going through the names in my head that I was looking through yesterday.  ;)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 15 April 11 18:28 BST (UK) »
I think they are phasing out the Beta/Pilot family searches in favor of this one - https://www.familysearch.org/  I liked the search options on the Pilot one better than the new format, but sometimes I've gotten results that say the actual images are no longer available on the Pilot site.