Author Topic: Poland: Meider/Mider  (Read 14437 times)

Offline maltwoodclan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Poland: Meider/Mider
« on: Friday 15 April 11 05:22 BST (UK) »
I am putting togther my family tree but have 'hit a wall' around 1800.
My ancesters were originally Polish and of the Jewish faith.
The last recorded record  I have is of Nachman Mider who married Chaja in 1824.
They had 7 children, 3 of which definately emigrated to the UK and settled in Birmingham in the mid to late 1800's.
Nachman Mider was born in Kalisz, Poland and Chaja, his wife, her father was Shumel Hirszon. Chaja died in 1859.
There is a very large extended family that I have documented.
Any help would be appreciated.........

Offline Janboo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Poland: Meider/Mider
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 April 11 17:12 BST (UK) »
Have you tried www.cyndislist.com ?
Useful info there
Valincius/Walinczius - Lithuania, Truscott - Cornwall + Widnes, Forster/Foster - Garston, Halewood + Widnes,  Heyes - Widnes, Fryer - Huyton +Widnes

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 April 11 19:40 BST (UK) »
Hello maltwoodclan,

Welcome to Rootschat.

You have presumably taken your Mider/Meider recoreds from the Jewish Records Indexing - Poland project.

It would probably be worthwhile obtaining the full records from the Polish State Archives. Such early records would be written in Polish and/or Hebrew and may reveal Nachman's father's names.

According to JRI-Poland, Chaja's surname may have been HIRSZOW, i.e. HIRSHOV. Her father had the double given name Hirsh-Shmuel.

Can you tell us the names of the seven children?

Justin

Offline Noah007

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 April 11 06:31 BST (UK) »
hi, Greetings from New Zealand. My mother was a Meider, her father was Harold, and if I've got it right; his father was Newman, his father was Nathan, and his was Nachmann. So I guess that makes us related. I'd ne interested to know if you have found out anything more, and i know mum would definitely be interested. Kevin

Offline estherm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 May 11 15:58 BST (UK) »
dear malwoodclan

Most interested, I am a great great grandaughter of Nachman who was born in Kalisz, and have been trying to research the family for a few years, have had some success, but there are still gaps, I do have many certificates and would like to be in contact with you

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 May 11 17:41 BST (UK) »
Esther,

Welcome to RC!

Do any of your certs reveal Nachman's parents's names?

Although not in any way related, I'd be interested to hear what else you have managed to discover.

Justin

Offline Susjan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 May 11 15:02 BST (UK) »
I have just read that information about Nachman Meider or Mider and his descendants would be useful.   I am his 5 times Grandaughter and I live in the U.K.   My paternal grandmother's mother's maiden name was Meider, her father was Harris Meider brother of Nathan Meider.   Their father was Nachman Meider.  They are both buried in Witton Old Cementary in Birmingham.  I have more information but will waite to see if there if a reply to this. 

It was very good to hear from some people from the Meider or Mider clan.

Offline estherm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 06 May 11 15:31 BST (UK) »
Good to hear from another Meider, I am the great grandaughter of Nathan, the brother of Harris Meider, I also live in the U K, and have quite a bit of information

Offline Susjan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 06 May 11 16:13 BST (UK) »
Hello another member of the Meider family.  My Great Grandmother was Martha, daughter of Harris Meider who was married to Flora Bemstone, Martha married David Chesses and their children were all named after Flora and Nachman's children.  Newman, Annie, Flora, Amelia, Soloman. Eva and then there were three more Morris Walter and Lenny.   

Harris and Nathan had a brother Wolf who only lived for one day, born in Kalisz in 1825, my Grandmother's brother Walter was named after him.  Walter died in the first World War just 3 weeks before it ended.   After that my father was named Wolf in memory of his Uncle.

Would love to hear any information regarding the family.