Author Topic: John BECKMAN Death  (Read 3758 times)

Offline EPB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John BECKMAN Death
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 10 August 21 16:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sarah!

What a shame, but thank you for letting me know. John Beckman was a real mystery man, I would have loved to join forces with the other person tracking down his aliases! Appreciate your help, perhaps they will check in some day and see this :)

Thanks,

Emma

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 11 August 21 00:05 BST (UK) »
Hi EPB,
In the absence of Barnee, if there is anything you would like help with let us know.

Many here have good offline resources for Australian research and will be keen to assist.

Apart from that, much has become available online in the last 10 years so that new material for your search is quite probably available.

So just call out if you want company in your digging ;D
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline EPB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 11 August 21 02:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sue!

Some help would be amazing. This is a complicated trail that keeps getting more convoluted! I am currently searching for the following:

Marriage /Divorce records for:
Albert Edward Cotton and Maria Gertrude Reidy Beckman, NSW

('Gertrude' divorced John Beckman in 1922 and seems to have been with AEC at the time and had children with him, she is noted to have died in 1969 but AEC married again in 1942, I can't find any marriage or divorce records of AEC to Gertrude?)
AEC is listed to have been born in Derby, Tasmania circa 1900, and to have died in 1979, Erskineville

Marriage and divorce records for:
Albert Edward Cotton and Delphine Robeson, NSW

I believe they married in 1942 Chatswood but I suspect divorced within ten years?

Any information on Delphine Robeson in Australia? Possibly Delphine Shirley Robeson. Or Delphine Cotton?

I have seen a reference on myheritagecom that she was listed on QLD Electoral roll in 1959 in Charlton, via Toowoomba, QLD, home duties but I can't find a record of it so can't verify that.
I can't find Australia birth records for Delphine, before her marriage to AEC it's been zip. I can find a Delphine Robeson in Texas but no record of her arrival in Australia, so unsure if this is the same person.

A birth and a death certificate for Albert Edward 'Alf' Cotton?

I've seen mentioned that AEC was born circa 1900, perhaps in Tasmania, and there is a Sydney Morning Herald death announcement I haven't been able to access, June 2 1979 Sydney Morning Herald, noting death date of May 31 1979, late of Erskineville

Any clear birth and death records for a John Beckman, born circa 1890-1900.

I suspect 'my' John Beckman was an alias so am not expecting these to be him but if I can rule out any other John Beckmans that would be helpful!

If John Beckman was indeed an alias, I am also curious to find where the 'John' came from, as I know where the Murray and Beckman came from. For anyone who knows about historical aliases (I am new to this), would 'John' simply have been an easy name to assume at the time, or is it likely he would have had to have 'aquired' it somehow?

This is a lot, thank you for anyone who can help me unravel any of these mysteries!

EPB

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 11 August 21 02:24 BST (UK) »

Marriage and divorce records for:
Albert Edward Cotton and Delphine Robeson, NSW

I believe they married in 1942 Chatswood but I suspect divorced within ten years?

Any information on Delphine Robeson in Australia? Possibly Delphine Shirley Robeson. Or Delphine Cotton?

I have seen a reference on myheritagecom that she was listed on QLD Electoral roll in 1959 in Charlton, via Toowoomba, QLD, home duties but I can't find a record of it so can't verify that.
I can't find Australia birth records for Delphine, before her marriage to AEC it's been zip. I can find a Delphine Robeson in Texas but no record of her arrival in Australia, so unsure if this is the same person.

You can check electoral rolls, Albert and Delphine are still together and living in Eskineville in 1978.

Debra  :)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 11 August 21 02:46 BST (UK) »

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 11 August 21 03:11 BST (UK) »
Do you have this marriage cert?  It should name both of John's parents and give an age and place of birth.

1534/1914
BECKMAN, JOHN M
REIDY, MARIA G
ST LEONARDS

Is this info from the other thread from that marriage cert?

Hello   I  am researching my grandmother first husbands tree. He was a John Beckman(N) who parents were Henry Beckmann and Maria Christina ( nee  Peterson )Beckman.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 11 August 21 03:39 BST (UK) »
Ignore the sighting of Delphine Shirley ROBSON in Qld. 1958.

She was still there in 1980. Not your person.

Sue

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 11 August 21 03:55 BST (UK) »
Albert was the son of George Fordyce COTTON, Delphine died in 1982.

Another son of George Fordyce COTTON was Clement Laurence COTTON
He lived with his wife Caroline in the same building as Albert and Delphine COTTON in the electoral rolls around 1963 and 1868. Elliot Avenue Erskinville.

I see the WW1 enlistment for Clement who names his father and states he was born in Tasmania where his father still lives.
https://www.naa.gov.au/explore-collection

Sue

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good things come to those who wait...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 11 August 21 03:55 BST (UK) »
BECKMAN sounds Germanic.  OP told us John's father was 'Hinirich' which could Heinrich.  Possibility that John could of been anglicized from Johann?!?!

bitzar.
ROBERTS / ROBERT / ROBERTSON (Paternal) - Dunbartonshire/Stirlingshire, Scotland
NEWEY - Leicestershire, England
FITZGERALD - Co. Cork - Ireland
HOWLETT - Suffolk, England
PHILMORE - Wiltshire, England
CHAPMAN - Cornwall - England
NICHOLLS - Cornwall - England
SHAW - Nottinghamshire, England
PRITCHARD - Salop, England
ROBERTS (Maternal) - Surrey, England