Author Topic: Almondbury Marriage in 1830  (Read 2816 times)

Offline Holmemoss

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Almondbury Marriage in 1830
« on: Friday 15 April 11 14:39 BST (UK) »
From the new family search site for a marriage at Almondbury on 22 Feb 1830 - two entries

John Hobson and Elizabeth Hinchliffe

John Hobson and Elizabeth Hinchliffe Oldham - if this is the correct one then she is the daughter of Hinchliffe Oldham.

However, in the 1841 and 1851 censuses, it is a James Hobson and Elizabeth.

Which one is right?

Thank you.
All WRY (Holmfirth/Linthwaite/Rastrick /Elland/Kirkburton/Barnsley)- Broadbent, Brook, Cartwright, Charlesworth, Dawson, Earnshaw, Ellis, Flather, Greaves, Hallas, Hirst, Holroyd, Houghland, Hoyle, Kilner, Littlewood, Mallinson, Mitchell, Morton, Scargill, Schofield, Swallow, Taylor, Youle

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Almondbury Marriage in 1830
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 April 11 16:09 BST (UK) »
Hi

If you are going from transcriptions they could be incorrect so I would look it up or you might have the wrong family in the censuses.

John
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Hill, Mattinson, Nicholson
Morrey, Hudson, Limb

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 April 11 16:20 BST (UK) »
The Huddersfield FHS Almondbury Marriages booklet only has the one John Hobson marriage for 1830:

22 Feb 1830 John Hobson  & Elizabeth Hinchliffe Oldham, both of Netherthong. banns.

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Holmemoss

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 April 11 08:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you, John and Jill, and I apologise for the delay in response but I have been away.

I can find an Elizabeth Hobson of around the correct age living a Netherthong in the 1851 census but her husband is James not John.

I cannot find a John Hobson married to an Elizabeth; I suppose it is possible Elizabeth died between 1830 and the 1841 census and John remarried.
All WRY (Holmfirth/Linthwaite/Rastrick /Elland/Kirkburton/Barnsley)- Broadbent, Brook, Cartwright, Charlesworth, Dawson, Earnshaw, Ellis, Flather, Greaves, Hallas, Hirst, Holroyd, Houghland, Hoyle, Kilner, Littlewood, Mallinson, Mitchell, Morton, Scargill, Schofield, Swallow, Taylor, Youle

Offline Wyjan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 April 11 10:40 BST (UK) »
Looking at the Elizabeth married to a James Hobson, there is this one in the transcriptions married at All Hallows Almondbury :-
8 Dec 1833 James Hobson to Elizabeth Taylor - both of Netherthong which most likely accounts for that Elizabeth.

Offline Holmemoss

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 April 11 11:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you. It rules that particular John Hobson out.

There is another John Hobson living at Cartworth in the 1841 census but he is married to Hannah. There is a marriage on the IGI at Almondbury of a John Hobson to Hannah Hampshire on 25 Oct 1832.

Another Hampshire!!

Unfortunately there are no father's names and, if Elizabeth did indeed die between 1830 and 1832, I cannot find a burial.

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 April 11 12:27 BST (UK) »
Hi

The Hobson I have is the James Hobson who married Elizabeth Taylor at Almondbury 8 Dec 1833. They lived mostly in the Holmfirth and Wooldale area.
I have several baptisms for a John or Jonathan Hobson.

John
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Morrey, Hudson, Limb

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 28 April 11 09:38 BST (UK) »
Hi

Managed to find some more of my research on the Hobson's.
I have three baptisms for children of John & Elizabeth Hobson.
James Hobson of John & Elizabeth Hobson, dresser of Town End Wooldale born 1 Jan 1833, bap 17 Feb 1833.
Joseph Hobson of John & Elizabeth Hobson cloth cropper of Netherthong bap 3 Apr 1831.
Mary Ann Hobson of John & Elizabeth Hobson cloth dresser of Moor Gate bap 3 March 1839.
all baptised at Netherthong church.
The last baptism would indicate that Elizabeth was living in 1839, unless it was a late baptism.

John
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Morrey, Hudson, Limb