Author Topic: Alexander RUSSELL - d. India 1902  (Read 2723 times)

Offline n4mv3t

• RootsChat Member
  • Australia
    • View Profile
Alexander RUSSELL - d. India 1902
« on: Sunday 17 April 11 13:02 BST (UK) »
my gg uncle, Alexander RUSSELL b. 1879 in Mortlach, Scotland, died in Sialkot, India in 1902 ... some 'trees' state 5 Aug 1902.
The 1901 census records him as a soldier with the Gordon Highlanders in the Military Barracks, Aberdeen.
FamilySearch shows his death as 9th Aug 1902 in Sialkot, India and shows his rank as Private and that he was a soldier in the Gordon Highlanders.
However, I believe from my research, that the Gordon Highlanders were in South Africa in 1902+ ... so does anyone have any idea why he was recorded as a Gordon Highlander at the time of his death in India? (and did he die from disease, as many did, or from soldier stuff?) ... also is there any way I can expand my info on him; ie, his enlistment papers, service record, how he travelled to India, grave stone, memorial monument in India to the soldiers who died ... any help on this man in uniform will be greatly appreciated

CHADWICK - Amersham/Bethnal Green, UK
FOSH/FOUACHE - London, UK
ESTALL - Bethnal Green, UK
LOCKHART - Airdrie/Springburn/Baillieston Scotland
McGREGOR/McGRIGOR - Gartly, Scotland
RUSSELL/RUSSEL/RUSSAL - Mortlach, Scotland

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander RUSSELL - d. India 1902
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 April 11 13:24 BST (UK) »
Hi

As far as I can work out, both battallions of the Gordon Highlanders were in South Africa for the 2nd Boer War, which ended May 1902. Then the 2nd Batallion returned to India - and took part in the Delhi Durbar war of 1902-1903.

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 April 11 13:27 BST (UK) »
You've posted in Resources but I'm sure the Armed Forces Moderator will soon move this the the main Armed Forces board.

Meanwhile, according to what I've found online, the Second Boer War ended 31 May 1902.

This Gordon Highlanders website says "... The South African war ended, the 2nd Battalion returned to India... "
http://www.thegordonhighlanders.co.uk/History.htm
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 April 11 13:28 BST (UK) »
However, I believe from my research, that the Gordon Highlanders were in South Africa in 1902+ ...

You have to be aware that the regiment had 2 regular battalions, who more often than not served in different places.

1st Battalion's movements:
1894-98 India
1898-99 Scotland
1899-1902 South Africa
1902-04 Scotland

2nd battalion:
1894-96 Ireland
1896-98 England
1898-99 India
1899-Jan 1902 South Africa
Jan 1902-1904 Sialkot, India

So Alexander was serving with the 2nd battalion
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline neil1821

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 April 11 13:32 BST (UK) »
and did he die from disease, as many did, or from soldier stuff?
Disease or some other natural cause presumably. No campaign service at that time.

and took part in the Delhi Durbar war of 1902-1903.
Delhi Durbar wasn't a war.  ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delhi_Durbar
Name interests: Boulton, Murrell, Lock, Croxton, Skinner, Blewett, Tonkin, Trathen.
Military History & Medals

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 April 11 18:18 BST (UK) »
Before WW1 the records of men dying in service were destroyed 20 years later. You should however check Findmypast in case they failed to do so in his case. You should also check the medal rolls on Ancestry. If he did not receive a medal for the Boer War then he would have been sent to India, via the Suez Canal, as a replacement. The Gordons may also have been involved in the the fighting in the NW Frontier which may also have led to the award of a medal.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=1686

If his death certificate or grave gives his regimental number you should be able to discover when he enlisted. I would also check the Militia Attestation Papers due for release later this year on FindMyPast, as men would often enlist in the Militia before committing full-time to the regular army.

You may also get some more information from the local newspapers after his death.

Ken

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 April 11 07:54 BST (UK) »
Hi

From the medal rolls there was an A Russell serving in both the 1st and 2nd Battalions. Since there was only one A Russell in either Battalion I'm assuming that either could be your Aleaxander.

3369 Private A Russell 1st Battalion - 1895 India General Service medal with clasps for Relief of Chitral, Punjab Frontier 1897-98, Tirah 1897-8. In addition he also received the Queens South Africa medal with clasps for Paardeberg, Driefontein, Johannesberg and Cap Colony.

8353 Private A Russell 2nd Battalion - Queens South Africa medal with Transvaal clasp, he also served with the 1st Battalion where he earned the Kings South Africa medal with the 1901 clasp only.

All you have to do now is find if either is your man !!!

Martin

Offline n4mv3t

• RootsChat Member
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 April 11 15:27 BST (UK) »
Hi

As far as I can work out, both battallions of the Gordon Highlanders were in South Africa for the 2nd Boer War, which ended May 1902. Then the 2nd Batallion returned to India - and took part in the Delhi Durbar war of 1902-1903.

Cheers
AMBLY
... yes, AMBLY, the 2nd 'went on' to India ... however, as Alexander is recorded on the 1901 census in Aberdeen I doubt he got to South Africa and suspect that he "reo'd in" in India to build up the battalion ... thanks for helping, very much appreciated
You've posted in Resources but I'm sure the Armed Forces Moderator will soon move this the the main Armed Forces board.

Meanwhile, according to what I've found online, the Second Boer War ended 31 May 1902.

This Gordon Highlanders website says "... The South African war ended, the 2nd Battalion returned to India... "
http://www.thegordonhighlanders.co.uk/History.htm
... thanks aghadowey ... and my apologies for posting in the wrong spot ... your link was helpful ... again, my thanks
So Alexander was serving with the 2nd battalion
... yes neil1821, at this point of my research I agree with you ... the 1st Battalions time line doesn't fit with Alexander ... many thanks for helping

km1971 ... FindMyPast has nothing I can find ... thanks for the help

All you have to do now is find if either is your man !!!
Martin
... yeppers, Martin (crimea1854) yer right there ... currently I favour 8353 Private A Russell 2nd Battalion because of his higher reg no, but I could be wrong ... thanks for posting your research

now as I have Ancestry's 1901 census transcription showing Alexander in Aberdeen can anyone tell me if the soldiers Regimental Number would be recorded on the original census document? ... also where/how do I get a Death Certificate for Alexander ... my research so far gives me the following ... from 'Army Returns' - Deaths - from Ancestry ... refer image below
CHADWICK - Amersham/Bethnal Green, UK
FOSH/FOUACHE - London, UK
ESTALL - Bethnal Green, UK
LOCKHART - Airdrie/Springburn/Baillieston Scotland
McGREGOR/McGRIGOR - Gartly, Scotland
RUSSELL/RUSSEL/RUSSAL - Mortlach, Scotland

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 18 April 11 15:53 BST (UK) »
Finding soldier's regimental number recorded on a census is very, very rare.

You can buy overseas/regimental BMD certificate from the UK GRO online - https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/faqs-overseas.asp

Ken