Author Topic: Dainty Family  (Read 4619 times)

Offline alblol

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dainty Family
« on: Sunday 17 April 11 16:38 BST (UK) »
Hello,  I am new to the rootschat so please forgive me (and correct me) if I do something in error.
SC thanks for giving me some instruction on how to get started.

I am hoping that I can get some help with the Dainty family of Northamptonshire.  I have quite a bit of information regarding census data etc., but I am hoping that someone can help out with reading between the line and between the census's.

For the 3 generations I have found it appears the Dainty family were very sucessful farmers.  Holding large parcels of land and employing quite a few men and boys as well as having domestic servants in the home.

My man interest is with John William Dainty, born about 1867 in Horne, Rutland, Northhamptonshire as he ties into our family as my grandmothers first husband.

Here is what I know.  He lived at home with his parents John Dainty and Louisa Bains.  They owned a 500 acre farm
In 1867 John William married Edith Mary Grimley.  On the 1891 & 1901 census he is listed as a farm bailiff/employer.  In 1901 they have 5 children and 3 servants.  I do not know the size of the farm, but expect it is a decent size based on the rest of the family.

Now comes the turn and where my questions come.
the 1911 census has John William living away from his wife and children. He is employed as a groom on a farm in Alfredton Derbyshire.  His wife and children area living in Mansfield Nottinghamshire.
Does any know what happened between 1901 and 1911 which caused John William to lose his farm?  How could I look into this?

Sometime around 1911 - 1912 at the age of 16 my grandmother Sarah Stevens was living and working at the Swan Inn in Mansfield.  I am assuming this is where she met John William.  By 1913 Sarah and John William had a daughter together.  I assume that John William left his then current wife Edith to be with Sarah.  John William and Sarah had 6 children together.  In August 1919 Sarah and 3 of their children immigrated to Toronto, Canada.  In March 1920 John William and the forth child came to Canada to join them.

In Jan 1921 Edith Grimley died.  She listed John William Dainty as her husband.  Why would she do this?

I cannot find a marriage record for Sarah and John William so would love if anyone could locate this.  At this time my guess is that they may not have been married

Why would John William and their daughter only follow 8 months later?

Did John William and Edith ever divorce?  Is it possible they would divorce but she would still list him as her husband.

I realize this is a long story but I felt to get the best responses it would be best to give as much information as possible

I look forward to any information or direction.

Thanks!!

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: Dainty Family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 April 11 16:46 BST (UK) »
hi,,in the 1901 census  he is listed as a farm bailiff,,,but as a worker {not an employer }at Roseland Farm.  ;)
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alblol

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 April 11 16:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks gortonboy, but that is confusing.  I understood that the term bailiff meant land owner.  Does it not?

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 April 11 17:04 BST (UK) »
I understood that the term bailiff meant land owner.  Does it not?

Farm Bailiff from Old Occupations http://rmhh.co.uk/occup/f.html

How do you know that the Dainty family owned the farm ?

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alblol

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 April 11 17:08 BST (UK) »
I don't know for certain that they owned the farm.  On another site I found the description of a farm bailiff to be the farm owner.  Perhaps this was incorrect.  If it is would there be some sort of paperwork indicating the change in bailiff.  I am trying to piece together the puzzle.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 April 11 17:34 BST (UK) »
From the Oxford English Dictionary

Bailiff
1)The agent of the lord of a manor, who collects his rents, etc
2)The steward of a landholder, who manages his estate;
3)One who superintends the husbandry of a farm for its owner or tenant.

It is quite likely that John and Edith did not divorce, it was very expensive at this time.  Was the informant on Edith's death a relation - they must have known who she had been married to.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alblol

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 April 11 19:03 BST (UK) »
The death information that I have is from the National Probate Calendar (Index of Willis and Administration), it reads:
DAINTY, Edith Mary of Stanley-house Mansfield Woodhouse Nottinghamshire (wife of John William Dainty) died 7 January 1921 at Smedley Hydro Matlcok Derbyshire Probate London II June to Harry George Grimley agent.  Effects £1025 2s 6d
Harry George Grimley was her eldest brother.

Could someone be both a bailiff and owner?

Offline mgeneas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 17 April 11 20:17 BST (UK) »
Likely he leased the farm rather than owned it.