Author Topic: Pollock Family - Walton  (Read 2169 times)

Offline Gray865

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Pollock Family - Walton
« on: Sunday 17 April 11 18:41 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for any info on the Pollock family from 'Walton', Mearns/Neilston boundary. I have the following
  Robert Pollock b.1772/6? married Jean Robertson they had issue; Robert b. 1799. John b.1801, Ann b.18??, James b.1803 or 1813 I don't know whether there is a discrepancy here - I'm from this line, Thomas b.18??, Marion b. 1810, Allan b.1815. Alexander b. 1821,  Jane b. abt 1820.

Robert 1772 had siblings Marion b.1763, Janet b. 1766, Agnes b.1769, Mary b.1775, Thomas b.1783, Allan b.1785, there may be others.  Thanks for any help :)

Offline shawsboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Pollock Family - Walton
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 April 11 17:25 BST (UK) »
not sure if this is of help there is a Balgray House newton Mearns built in the 19th century which belonged to the Pollock family. (www.eastrenfrewshire.gov.uk) go to portal to the past and click on mansion houses, it tells you about the Pollocks. also there was farms known as Waltons which were on the border between Neilston and Mearns

Offline Gray865

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 April 11 22:17 BST (UK) »
I had already accessed this site.   There are a number of farms coming under the name 'Walton' it appears that the Pollock's were in West Walton and North Walton. I can't find burials in Mearns or Neilston Cemetary.  Where else can I try?

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 April 11 23:15 BST (UK) »
This post is a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws. Unfortunately my preferred method of writing (Parker Quink on Basildon Bond) cannot be used.

Offline Gray865

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 April 11 17:15 BST (UK) »
An interesting site.  Pollock of Pollok Castle's tenants were farmers named Pollock in numerous farms in the Mearns area of Renfrewshire but this did not include the Walton Farms.  Pollock of  West Walton and North Walton may be connected to Pollok Castle but I can't find a connection.

Offline hovlander

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 March 23 07:10 BST (UK) »
This may be an old post, but I know this hobby never ends -
I have been doing a significant amount of research on the North Walton Pollocks, and have come across the records below. They do tend to bounce between Neilston and Mearns You can search for them for free (use the exact spellings for each) on ScotlandsPeople.gov.uk and view the images for a small fee. I've purchased wills from that period and they are very detailed. There should be some good information for you.

Likely matches for both the inventory and will of your Robert Pollock (b 1799) and a the will of your Robert Pollock (b 177x)

POLLOCK, ROBERT,  31 / 10 / 1881, OF NORTH WALTON, PARISH OF MEARNS, D. 04/06/1881 AT NORTH WALTON AFORESAID, TESTATE
INVENTORY ONLY
PAISLEY SHERIFF COURT

POLLOCK, ROBERT,  31 / 10 / 1881, OF NORTH WALTON, PARISH OF MEARNS, D. 04/06/1881 AT NORTH WALTON AFORESAID, TESTATE
WILL
PAISLEY SHERIFF COURT WILLS

POLLOK, ROBERT,  30 / 3 / 1854, OF WESTER WALTON, PARISH OF MEARNS
PAISLEY SHERIFF COURT

ScotlandsPeople also has the baptism records of Robert's siblings and possibly Robert, himself. A couple are actually double-counted in both Neilston and Mearns, which is a convenient bridge for us, as the Neilston records do not have the mother's name.

Possible matches listed under father alone - Robert Pollock
Pollock, Robert - 11/02/1764 - Neilston
This could be your Robert 1772/76. I did not see any in those years that seem likely.
Pollock, Agnes - 22/10/1769 - Neilston
Pollock, Mary - 12/03/1775 - Neilston

Parents Robert Pollock and Marion Stevenson:
Pollock, Marion - 30/10/1763 - Neilston (baptised?)
Pollock, Marrion - 23/10/1763 - Mearns (born?)
Pollock, Janet - 04/05/1766 - " (I've seen the image - "in Walton")
Pollock, Agnes - 22/10/1769 - "  (")
Pollock, Thomas - 15/02/1783 - "
Pollock, Allan - 09/10/1785 - "

Possible match for the Robert Pollock that married Marion Stevenson - baptism of Robert, father Robert Pollock at Picketlaw, just across the Harelaw Dam/Moyne Moor from West Walton where the Robert above dies in 1854:

Pollok, Robert  02/12/1744, Neilston (father Robert Pollok)

I hope this helps! Report back if you find this - I'm curious to see how yours might connect to North Walton Pollocks or South Walton Gilmours or any Ritchies, as I am descended from these families. So far all the many non-Walton Pollocks on my tree are of the Pollocks of Craigton and Fa'side (Faside), so that's my top candidate at the moment for an origin.

Offline hovlander

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 30 March 23 07:26 BST (UK) »
Slight correction to my previous reply. I'm getting my Waltons confused:
Another likely alternate for the Robert (m. Marion Stevenson) is Robert, born to my 6th-great grandparents Thomas Pollock and Janet Pollock of North Walton:
Pollock, Robert - 28/07/1737, Neilston

There is an image of the couple's headstone here - https://www.drookitagain.co.uk/coppermine/displayimage.php?album=52&pid=2314#top_display_media