Author Topic: Adoption In Tyrone 1860's  (Read 2129 times)

Offline Onlyme3681

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Adoption In Tyrone 1860's
« on: Sunday 17 April 11 19:02 BST (UK) »
Hello

I am looking for some information on adoption.  My great great grandmother may have been adopted. How do I search for her adoption records? Is there anyone I can call? All I have is her name.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Adoption In Tyrone 1860's
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 April 11 19:48 BST (UK) »
Formal adoption did not come into effect in Ireland until the 20th century- what's termed as 'adoption' earlier was most likely friends or relatives caring for a child whose parents had died or were unable to care for them.
Only in exceptional cases - usually where property was involved- would there be any paperwork to be found.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline scarletmill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 April 11 09:34 BST (UK) »
Hi, 
Do you have her death certificate ?? This should give her place of birth or where she was reared and possibly her date of birth. From there you check for her birth if 1864 or after. Check her on the census to see where she was listed as being born. Pin down her location then you can maybe find her religion or maybe a church / chapel for her baptism. Technically this is clutching at straws though we have all hit the very same brick walls but who knows, luck can strike in the strangest places. My gran was adopted in a townland outside Dungannon, Tyrone in 1918 but it turned out to be her real dad's family that adopted her as they didn't think that her mums poor background suited their son - she went on to marry a farmer. Only found this out by chance on a visit when a far out cousin introduced me to her real mums niece. (I had a copy of the adoption papers) - even then in 1918 official adoption was unheard of unless there was money or scandal involved.

Best of luck

June
McClinton, Boyd, McCreight (Belfast, Templepatrick , Carmoney and Killead/Ballyhill Townlands),
McMullan, McGurk, McLeister, Taylor, Glass, McKillop, McCaughern (Rasharkin, Dunloy and Portglenone - Tamlaght)
Harrison, Stafford, Plunkett (Tyrone and Armagh)
Coulter/Coalter, Foster (Fermanagh)
Lougheed, Gibson (Co.Cavan)
McVeigh, Edgar (Belfast and Co.Down)
Shannon (Co.Monaghan)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 April 11 09:45 BST (UK) »
If she died in Ireland her death certificate will not list place of birth or date of birth. See here for details shown on Irish death certificates-
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,433043.0.html
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!