Author Topic: What are these girls holding?  (Read 12827 times)

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What are these girls holding?
« Reply #18 on: Monday 18 April 11 19:41 BST (UK) »
I have just looked through a book I have called "Sound bodies for our boys and girls" (1884). The children mostly use dumb-bells, but there are exercises which involve holding sticks in front of them and twirling them. None of the drawings show anything on the ends of the sticks, but they should be half the width of your wrist in thickness. Maybe these longer sticks are for something similar. The drawings of the younger girls show them wearing skirts which come just below the knee. The older girls have on ankle-length dresses.

Graham.

Offline Colin Cruddace

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for GG Grandad... Must have GSH
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 18 April 11 20:15 BST (UK) »
I've noticed that all the girls with a pole and basket have their hand inside the basket to hold the pole. Could it be a hand protector and used as part of the display for pole twirling and club swinging. If they were used for collecting money, I doubt if they would all have done it.

Colin

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 18 April 11 20:29 BST (UK) »
Like fencing foils ??    Possible... but I suspect they would also have the face masks visible ...
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 18 April 11 21:04 BST (UK) »
Nowadays, Girls have dancing troup competitions.   Would they have had Dancing competiitions 100 years ago?

They would swing the Indian clubs in unison,  and wave the sticks about like a drum major.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline ScouseBoy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 18 April 11 21:28 BST (UK) »
I suggest that you Google Girls Morris dancing troups.

Or look  at "Lymm girls Morris Dancing" 

I am sure that you will be able to find photos of Girls Dancing troops from before 1900.

Have you any idea which town they lived in?       Some areas may have a stronger tradition of girls dancing competitions than other areas.
Nursall   ~    Buckinghamshire
Avies ~   Norwich

Offline Aberdeen Archives

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 09:40 BST (UK) »
Gosh, thanks for all the suggestions!  I'll get the back of the postcard scanned later on today, and post it up but as far as I can remember there wasn't anything on the back which seemed to be of use.

Good idea to contact Grampian Police about their service records, to see if the man was indeed a policeman and whether there's anything about his extra-curricular activities, as it were.  However, I'm not entirely sure the picture is definitely in Aberdeen / the North East.  The collection the postcard is in contains ones from all over the world, including South Africa and Europe, but I'll give the police here a shot nonetheless.

I thought the idea about the baskets being used for collections was a good one, and it's something I'm keeping in mind...it's just so frustrating when you come across photographs like this with nothing whatsoever to identify it. 
Contact us at either:
Aberdeen City and Aberdeenshire Archives, Town House, Broad Street Aberdeen, AB10 1AQ
Telephone: 01224 522513  Email: archives[at]aberdeencity.gov.uk
OR
Aberdeen City and Aberdeenshire Archives, Old Aberdeen House, Dunbar Street, Aberdeen, AB24 3UJ
Telephone 01224 481775 Email: archives[at]aberdeencity.gov.uk

Offline Aberdeen Archives

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 14:55 BST (UK) »
As promised, here's the rather boring back of the postcard!  The number in the top right doesn't mean anything.
Contact us at either:
Aberdeen City and Aberdeenshire Archives, Town House, Broad Street Aberdeen, AB10 1AQ
Telephone: 01224 522513  Email: archives[at]aberdeencity.gov.uk
OR
Aberdeen City and Aberdeenshire Archives, Old Aberdeen House, Dunbar Street, Aberdeen, AB24 3UJ
Telephone 01224 481775 Email: archives[at]aberdeencity.gov.uk

Offline Emjaybee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Yer I be again
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 18:38 BST (UK) »
SINGLE-STICKFIGHTING

Stick fighting, was a popular pastime throughout the whole of the British Isles. In Scotland young men would learn the seven angles of attack and six guard positions and like the Phillipino systems, training involved the use of the left hand to parry or disarm, and wrestling throws & trips. The weapon typically consisted of a yard-long ash wood stick with a wicker basket guard, which was usually the combatant's only protection. Village fairs and Highland Games often held singlestick or cudgelling matches which began with the short prayer, "God, spare our eyes", after which the object of the game was to break each others heads, "for the moment that blood runs an inch anywhere above the eyebrow, the old gamester to whom it belongs is beaten".

Maybe the girls took over the stick as a Morris style baton?
Beard Voyce, Scrivens in Worcestershire

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 20:16 BST (UK) »
SINGLE-STICKFIGHTING

Stick fighting, was a popular pastime throughout the whole of the British Isles. ...... began with the short prayer, "God, spare our eyes", after which the object of the game was to break each others heads, "for the moment that blood runs an inch anywhere above the eyebrow, the old gamester to whom it belongs is beaten".

I do hope that these nice young ladies weren't about to embark on this kind of pastime; but it would certainly account for why they are all looking so miserable!
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk