Author Topic: Northern Echo - WIGHAM  (Read 14323 times)

Offline Jonboyno81

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Northern Echo - WIGHAM
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 20 June 12 17:31 BST (UK) »
I know this is an old thread but i'm the Great Grandson of William and Mary Jane (Lilian was my grandmother) I had no idea about this story, and i'm pretty sure my mam dosn't either, i was wondering if anyone could shed a little more light on the subject. Has anyone seen the coroners reports? Or know where to find them?

Jon

Offline Jonboyno81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 20 June 12 17:52 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Yes i remember my great Aunt Dorothy but not well. What do you need to know, i can always ask my mother. I'd like some info on the William and Mary Jane story if you have it. I get the impression that this is a secret well buried within my family!

Offline cadoc54

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 07 December 14 10:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello all. I have just joined this site after stumbling across this thread. I notice the last posting was quite a while ago. My mother is Rosemary (Rose Mary) Wigham the youngest of the siblings mentioned in the previous posts. She is 90 and still going strong. I was not aware of this part of my family history and it came as a bit of a shock. It does however explain why my mum has always been a bit vague about her parents when I have asked. I can remember "nanna" Dot (who was really my auntie) and vaguely remember her husband uncle Billy when they lived in Guiseley before she moved to Harrogate following Billy's death. My mum has mentioned in the past that there was another sibling I think her name was Violet but she didn't have much to do with the family. Mum was quite young when this tragedy happened (about 10 years old) so I don't even know if she knows the truth. I will add a few more details about other bits and pieces that I know as soon as possible.

Offline Jonboyno81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 07 December 14 10:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Since I last posted I have found out that the family were aware of the incident. My grandmother Lilian did tell her children, although they were not made aware of the details. I understand they did not want to pass the story down the family any further as it was a great source of pain and shame for my grandmother (who I understand was around 12 at the time). I have found a few bits of information regarding William and Mary Jane. William made several trips to the United States during the 1900's prior I the outbreak of WWI working for his uncle's mining business in Seattle. I have a copy of his immigration papers from Ellis Island from 1908. He was impressed by the prosperity his extended family had enjoyed in the U.S. And was visited by his uncle Ralph Bowen on several occasions when they lived in Trimdon, Count Durham. Ralph had children in The States and South Africa and was no doubt a driving force behind William's desire to start himself a new life across the pond. Sadly once married With Children Mary Jane did not want to emigrate and this caused a element of tension between them which may or may not have contributed to the turbulent relationship which led to their tragic deaths. I've dragged some of this info from my mam and matched it up to census records although I am struggling to find any more evidence of William in The US.

To Cadoc54,

Please pass my love and regards to your mum. I vaguely remember great aunt Rose but my mam always speaks fondly of her (my mam is Elizabeth, Lilian's daughter). I have a lot more information on our family including the adventures of the Bowen's in the U.S. As Christine mentioned in a previous post it makes for a very interesting read.

Jonathan.

Offline JennaJ

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 09 April 22 13:45 BST (UK) »
Just came across this chat.
Not sure if it is still active.
Would anyone know if Wilfred Wigham was married to a Mary Jane? She also went by Jenny.

I'm about to do 23 and me as I don't know anything about my paternal family.

Offline dgswatson

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 04 February 23 09:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Emma. Don’t know if you’re still following this post, but I believe you’re talking about my great grandparents. I know about this story, and could also add an amount  of information about the family in general. Don’t know how to can contact me/me contact you as adding an email address is against the site T&C’s.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 04 February 23 09:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello dgswatson and welcome to RootsChat.

Unfortunately most of the people who have responded to this thread as relatives have not been on-line for quite a few years. However, hopefully they still have the same email address and will receive notification of your post.

Exchanging email addresses can be done through the personal message system. You need to make 3 posts before you can access the system. A simple couple of responses to this thread should do it. However, as I say, it depends whether the previous posters are still picking up emails.  :)