Author Topic: driscoll/Paul family of poplar, middlesex  (Read 1710 times)

Offline driscoll72

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
driscoll/Paul family of poplar, middlesex
« on: Tuesday 19 April 11 07:00 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am trying to locate any information on my paternal great great great grandparents. their names were James Driscoll and Jane/Johanna Paul. both were apparently born in ireland around 1811. In 1835 they were residing in poplar middlesex. all of their children were born in poplar, being baptized at saint mary and Joseph roman catholic church in poplar. Their sons were Florance born 08/01/1835; John born 27/11/1836 & James born 24/03/1839.

The only census record I can find for James & Jane is 1851. the whole family are residing at 125 white hart place, poplar, middlesex. I have been unable to locate them on the 1841 census. after the 1851 census, i have been unable to find any information on James, Jane, John and James Jr. they just disappear.

Florance married in April 1867 and his bride registered both Florance and his father James on the marriage licence as Paul and not Driscoll as it should have been. i have checked under both surnames in all census records, death records & immigration. Keep coming up a blank. 
Any help or research suggestions would be very much appreciated.
Driscol(l); Paul

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: driscoll/Paul family of poplar, middlesex
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 11:15 BST (UK) »
Could these be John and James?

HO107 708 5
Hoxton Market, St leonards Shoreditch

Joselh Knight 45 Bricklayer
Eliza 45
Thomas 15
William 11
Isabella 9
Ellen Driscoll 40  bn Ireland
Thomas Driscoll 30 bn Ireland
John Driscoll 5 Y
James Driscoll 2 Y
Dennis Driscoll 2 mths Y
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 11:30 BST (UK) »
Hi

Welcome to Rootschat

There are any number of Driscoll deaths registered in Poplar between 1851 and 1861 which is always a difficult period to track a death since no age is given in the registers. There were a large number of Driscolls in Poplar.

e.g. could be Jane but could easily be someone else
Deaths Mar 1861 
Driscol  Johanna     Poplar  1c 495

The 1861 census for London is problematic since there are whole districts and streets missing from it. Poplar (presuming they were still there) was by no means the worst effected but looking at a treet index for 1861 it does show missing streets

http://yourarchives.nationalarchives.gov.uk/index.php?title=Place:Poplar_Registration_District,_1861_Census_Street_Index

There was a belief at the time of the early censuses particularly the 1841 census, that the census was a way of gathering data for the poor law and that people might in consequence end up being sent back to their place of birth if they fell on hard times. This could be the reason, as well as a hazy knowledge of county geography, that many people answered yes to the county of birth question, when later censuses show this was not the case. For the Irish facing dislike and discrimination in England avoiding English bureucracy as much as possible and therefore not being enumerated on the census might be the reason they are difficult to find on the 1841 census, a census some English avoided as well (though it is the hardest to search so they may still be there).

Does James baptism in 1839 give a street to help search the 1841 census?

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline momo22

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 11:42 BST (UK) »
Have had a look at marriage cert. Florance signed his own name on the cert, writing Florance Paul. He also stated he was a mariner. Perhaps he was not in England when some of the censuses took place?
Povey/Upton/Bevan/Harvey/Powell/stokes staffs
Fellows/Overfield/Fullwood Wor
Meadows Liverpool
Timbrell Glos

Offline Evie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barnaby
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 12:25 BST (UK) »
Not sure if this is your Florance (Paul)

The date says 1834 but not sure what the date is for

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0ctm/

evie

Booth, Hornsby, Northumberland & Durham
Jackson, Northumberland & Durham
Douthwaite, N Yorks & Durham
Geldard, N Yorks
Ward, Cheshire & W Yorks
Swallow, Boid, W Yorks
Kirby, Lowe, Studholme, Geary, Emery, Baldock

census info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline driscoll72

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 April 11 09:00 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Thank you all for your replies. I was not expecting so much so soon! I will certainly be looking into all information given to me.

Valda, James was born at 49 well st, poplar on the 24th of March 1839.

Evie & Momo22, Florance was a mariner and most likely was not in London at the time of census. Evie, the attachement you sent could belong to my Florance if the date is a dob. I will look into that. thank you. The last census Florance would have been found in was 1871 as they immigrated to New Zealand in 1873.

Lizdb, theyr'e not mine, but thanks for your help.

Driscoll72
Driscol(l); Paul

Offline knewby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 July 21 22:19 BST (UK) »
I can ‘own’ the Ellen and Thomas Driscoll aged 40 and 30 in the 1841 census. Thomas’s age is wrong or the census writer’s hearing was bad but Thomas’s DOB is 1783 in Bandon near Cork in Ireland. Ellen was also born in Ireland, possibly Cork area, and I think she was his second wife as she was born abt 1813 so 30 years younger than him. They lived in Hoxton market area and Thomas had been invalided out of the army as he suffered life changing injuries.  He fought in the Peninsular Wars and also in India. He was a foot soldier and I think he had a first wife and 2 children from his army records on Ancestry who possibly went back to Ireland but I cannot trace them. Hope this helps.