Author Topic: WATTIS family of Acton Beauchamp  (Read 3213 times)

Offline avrilw

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WATTIS family of Acton Beauchamp
« on: Tuesday 19 April 11 12:11 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for the birth of JAMES WATTIS who says he was born in Acton Beauchamp ( now Herefordshire, was in Worcester in early 1800's)  around 1826. From his marriage certificate I know he married PHOEBE WENT also of Acton B and his father's name was also James. I cannot find his baptism in Acton B. There is a JAMES WATTIS and wife JANE baptising children in Acton B 1828 and later. There is also JAMES WATTIS  & JANE OWEN baptiising a child in Llandiloes in Montgomeryshire in 1823. I think they are the same family and that JAMES was born in between these findings-but where to look? Any help greatly received,  Avril

Offline RCB

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: WATTIS family of Acton Beauchamp
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 April 11 23:51 BST (UK) »
You have probably looked here for James -
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hughwallis/
Pheobe's baptism is there 17th feb 1829 daughter of William and Elizabeth Whent, plus their childrens baptisms.

I think they must have missed the 1841 census, or it is mis-spelt Watt's?  Nearest is Edmund 1799 not so far away from Acton in Martley?

Offline avrilw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 April 11 18:32 BST (UK) »
Yes, thanks

Hugh Wallis deserves a knighthood-love the site.
I think James in on 1841 as James  WATHOUSE.  He is also shown as WATHOUSE in the newspaper write-up of the inquest into his death.
How to find someone when you don't even now what his real name was?

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 09:32 BST (UK) »
Acton Beauchamp christenings for Wattis around the timeframe you have mentioned

Eliza Wattis christened 30th november 1828  father James / mother Jane
Ann Wattis christened 12th December 1830  father James / mother Jane

so maybe - previous to 1828 they don`t have the christening records OR , although James grew up in Acton Beauchamp.he wasn`t born there ??
allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline avrilw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 10:15 BST (UK) »
Hello

I suspect James was born in between James & Jane living in Llanidloes and Acton B and as he probably lived in AB from really early years he knew no different. Either that or his wife Phoebe spoke to the census man and just said James was born in AB because she knew no different.
I'm hoping to go to Hereford History centre next week to see if they have any non conformist records.
Fingers crossed