Author Topic: West Ham Cemetery  (Read 4049 times)

Offline anpefa1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: West Ham Cemetery
« Reply #9 on: Friday 15 July 11 21:35 BST (UK) »
hello brenda,

i regret to say that i still could not locate the resting place of your great grandparents in the pd section.

parts of the cemetery are not cared for and there is overgrowth and fallen headstones in almost every part.

some of the headstones are located with a grave but lots are "missing".

unusually, a lot of the graves have sunk into the ground completely including the surrounds and small tablets, as if the ground was like quicksand!

some 50% of the section where your ancestors should be is bare with only an outline of the graves left in the earth, extremely weird.

there has been some clearance in sections since 2008 (there is some sort of 25 year clause which allows plots to be re-used) i don't know if this applies to "your" section, but even the gate keeper was pessimistic.

i am sorry to bear bad news.

tony.     
uk. beale, bateman, buss, bacon, pratt, purssell, reynolds, stamford, sumpter, sailsbury, turner, white nee phillips.
eire. carroll, connor, cronin, daly, fellowes, fitzgerald, gaynor, girvan, keogh, meade, moroney, reilly, whelan, white, winterlich.
scotland: mcavoy

Offline watney

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 16 July 11 06:44 BST (UK) »
Tony, thank you so very much for all your efforts to find the grave, your kindness is very much appreciated. it's such a pity so many cemetery's have not been looked after, but as you say very often the plots are reused.

With all best wishes, Brenda

Offline anpefa1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 17 July 11 19:11 BST (UK) »
hi brenda,

may i ask if you have traced family through the england census?

if not, i may have information that would soften the blow as is said.

if i am on the right track david was born in linslade /leighton buzzard buckingham circa 1838 and his parents were william & sarah.

tony
uk. beale, bateman, buss, bacon, pratt, purssell, reynolds, stamford, sumpter, sailsbury, turner, white nee phillips.
eire. carroll, connor, cronin, daly, fellowes, fitzgerald, gaynor, girvan, keogh, meade, moroney, reilly, whelan, white, winterlich.

Offline watney

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 17 July 11 20:02 BST (UK) »
Hello Tony, it's very good of you to try to help me further, but in fact I have this family back to 1749.  I had been informed by another researcher that Stephen Mead had been buried in Linslade, I knew that this could not be correct as I have a list of the burials there, as he had died in West Ham I decided to phone the cemetery who confirmed that both Stephen and his wife were buried together and this was where I obtained the grave plot number.

So again I am in your debt and I thank you once more for your kindness

Best wishes, Brenda

Offline sweetpea00

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
West Ham Cemetery
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 02 August 11 02:12 BST (UK) »
 :)
Wm Hellyer b.1838 Bognor, Sussex
Wm Meaden b. 1817 Barnham / Felpham, Sussex
Wm Saunders b. 1870 Bucks / Bedfordshire / Canada
Wm Devlin b. 1887 at ? d. 1944 in Canada
Taylor - 1800s in Leicestershire & Derbyshire
LESLIE C. SAUNDERS b. London 1910 d. Gateway of the North

Offline anpefa1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 02 August 11 12:37 BST (UK) »
hi sweetpea00,

do you have some information to go with the smiley? if so would you post it especially if it contains something for brenda that i can re-check with.

tony