Author Topic: Where are ships logs archived?  (Read 4207 times)

Offline abcsydney

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where are ships logs archived?
« on: Tuesday 19 April 11 20:05 BST (UK) »
Hello.

I'm seeking the ships log for the Taiping that departed Sydney on 18/8/1928 bound for Hong Kong?

Does anyone where the ship's log is archived?

Regards,
abcsydney
Sydney, NSW

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
Re: Where are ships logs archived?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 20:39 BST (UK) »
It would seem at first glance the Logbook and Crew Agreement of The vessel TAIPING Official number 153599 built 1926 4324 tons owned by Australian and Oriental Line have been lost or destroyed.
She was registered in Hong Kong and its always difficult to locate vessels registered there pre war.
There are some records for 1940-1950 in the British Archives but nothing for 1928,
Memorial University of Newfoundland the main repository for Crew Agreements 1863 -1938 and 1951-1975 have nothing in their catalogue.
I suggest you try Australian Maritime Museum but its a long shot.
Logbooks and Crew Agreements of British ships, HK and Australian vessels at that time would have been regarded as British ships, are always searched via the ships O/N
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline abcsydney

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 20:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Seaweed,

Thank you for your informative reply.

I'm seeking the ships log so as to view the reason for my grandmother's death, which occurred suddenly while travelling between Sydney & HK. I've been told that as her death was outside Aust waters no Aust death regn was required or has been found.

Do you know if death registration is required at the destination port/country?

Regards,
abcsydney

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 April 11 21:30 BST (UK) »
Your search for the ships logbook would be the correct procedure as the assumed cause of death would have to be recorded there by law.
There would be no requirement for the death to be registered at the port of entry and there would be no Death certificate issued unless there was a doctor on board who could certify the death.
If the ship where registered in England Scotland Wales or Northern Ireland and pre 1921? in Eire then it would be recorded in a central index which is housed at the National Archive in London UK.
I am unsure of the Australian procedure so again I would ask the Australian Maritime Museum if they can help. Maybe a similar index is kept in Canberra.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline abcsydney

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 May 11 03:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks seaweed for your replies & useful suggestions

Regards,
abcsydney

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 May 11 06:07 BST (UK) »
Hi abc
Have you consulted the 3 vols of "Log of Logs" by Ian Nicholson, to see if the ship is listed with an extant log?
Presuming you are in Sydney / Canberra, you should be able to see these at any large library and the NLA would have copies also.

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)