Author Topic: Bitchenor in the Cromwellian Army. Completed.  (Read 3239 times)

Offline vivijune

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bitchenor in the Cromwellian Army. Completed.
« on: Wednesday 20 April 11 17:58 BST (UK) »
Wonder if anyone knows if there is a list in existence for ordinary soldiers in the Cromwellian Army. The Bitchenor family or Bitchener came from Kempston and the Cromwellian Army was headquartered just down the road in Bedford around 1643 for 2 years under General Fairfax.

My understanding is that Cromwell dealt with the problem of Levelers and agitators in the ranks of soldiers by getting them out of England and sending them to Ireland.  This achieved the effect of wiping out the growing Leveler demands for equal representation, the right to a decent wage and protection under the law. Their removal happened in the Commonwealth Period, prior to the return of the Stuart kings (Charles the Second) in the UK.

I've found a Bitchener, Betchenor, Bitchinell (all the same family) in census records for County Cork in the mid 1800's. (Ballyclogh, County Cork.)

If there's a list I'd like to know where to find it. If anyone has information on this subject I'd appreciate their input.

Offline vivijune

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Bitchenor in the Cromwellian Army.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 May 11 00:02 BST (UK) »
Please tag as completed. Something to research on a rainy day. Thanks to people on the Ireland board who got back to me to confirm that variations on Bitchenor (all the usual variations) are clustered around Cork so that's the place to make enquiries. Also thanks for suggesting Irish Geneology as a source.

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 May 11 08:30 BST (UK) »
Please tag as completed.
Go to your original message in this thread, click Modify, and add COMPLETED to the title line
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline vivijune

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 May 11 20:44 BST (UK) »
Now I can close this out. Just an FYI in case someone in the future is looking into the Irish Bitchenors (various similar name variations during the 1800's just like in Bedfordshire.) Looking in County Cork where they are clustered it seems they arrived in Cork somewhere between 1800 and 1810. So much for a Cromwellian connection! One dead end doesn't spoil all the progress made tracing the Bitchenors of Cranfield.