Author Topic: Albert Street, Clonmel  (Read 7936 times)

Offline TLB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Albert Street, Clonmel
« Reply #9 on: Friday 22 April 11 08:41 BST (UK) »
Annclare & Shane, many thanks for your input, its a great help. it looks as if many family rumours are now beginning to be proved as fact.
I had forgotten that a few years ago I found a document that, stated that the Bagwell family had purchased from Lord ? some land, houses etc in Irishtown and other nearby places . I actually discounted it as Albert St was not mentioned, I now know why!, I'll have to find it again.
Annclare, a lot of  the estate documents where destroyed in a fire, at Marlfield House, during the Civil War, in particular the records of estate workers.
As far as I can tell my G/F did work on the estate, and we believe lived in the Marlfield area before moving to Albert St. He is shown on the 1911 census as a labourer but on my fathers M/C he is shown as a 'bacon curer', The Bagwells had a bacon factory in Irishtown. The family eventually moved to Garymore  ( when it was built) and I remember as a child, my father taking me to Marfield to visit relatives , ( but I cannot remember who) also to watch hurling matches as dad played for St Mary's.
There is also another connection to the Bagwells , in that Lady Bagwell ran a seamstress factory, my  G/M and her sisters were seamstress and my father was at tailor and we believe did his apprenticeship there.
Still have a lot more to discover but many thanks for your help.
Tony
Byrne, Whelan, Sweeney. Marlfield & Clonmel
Cullen,  Breen.  New Ross
Hambrook, Essex
Broughton, London
Cole, London
Mills, London