Author Topic: Baylis family Bible, images, eBay  (Read 4812 times)

Offline BakerMarks

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Baylis family Bible, images, eBay
« on: Thursday 21 April 11 21:49 BST (UK) »
I've just listed on eBay a Bible, Psalter and Book of Common Prayer presented to one Thomas Baylis on July 21, 1759, by the 'late Lord Bishop of Bristoll' (sic); the Bishop's full name isn't clear, but starts Doctor John H-- (John Hume would fit, having been Bishop of Bristol 1756-58, but the surname looks more like the earlier John Hall, who died in 1710.) Just search eBay for 'Baylis family' to find the listing.

A number of pages are covered with what looks like a scrawled hand, possibly a child's, with names and dates relating to the Baylis family, including John (b. Dec. 1763),  Mary (b. 1769) James (b. 4 Dec. 1773), and Elizabeth Blakemore (?), daughter of John and Mary (b. 1732), perhaps their mother. I have taken photos of the four main pages, that I could e-mail anyone who is interested. There is probably nothing there that parish records do not record, but the images might be of interest to the descendants of this particular Baylis family.

I just happened to buy this book in a street market many years ago, to save it from further harm, and have no known connection to anyone named Baylis, but I live in hope that a similar chance might one day turn up an artefact from my own ancestors.