Author Topic: Missing Roscoe  (Read 5430 times)

Offline GMelia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Missing Roscoe
« on: Thursday 21 April 11 23:51 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

Bit of a speculative post this one, but I’ve had some luck with these forums in the past so I’m putting this enquiry into the wild to see what happens.

I have a group of Roscoes who are being particularly troublesome when it comes to revealing their secrets. Here’s what I know.

1861 Census Confirms

Mother
Susannah Roscoe nee (Unknown) born abt. 1822, married (Date Unknown), (Supposedly born in Liverpool, no birth cert found, no parish record found, disappears after this census)

Children
Elizabeth Roscoe born 1852 (Supposedly in Liverpool, no birth cert found, no parish record found, disappears after this census)
Helen Roscoe born 1860 (Supposedly in Liverpool, no birth cert found, no parish record found, disappears after this census)
Robert Roscoe (jnr) (My direct ancestor and the one I know most about, more later)

Father
Robert Roscoe (snr) born (Unknown) Married (Date Unknown) Died (Unknown) not on the census, but does show on Roberts Marriage Certificate.

Robert Roscoe (jnr)
Born 1854 (Supposedly in Liverpool, no birth cert found)
Married 30th Nov 1875 (St Anne Sandon, Cork, Ireland)
Residence 1875 The Barracks, Cork
Residence 1881 Toxteth Park, Liverpool
Multiple children and grandchildren all the way down to me.

My Questions to the Community
Can you help fill in the unknowns in the above?
Do you have any connections to the two female children?

Possible Scenario #1, the whole family moved to Ireland after 1861 which is why I can’t find them.
Possible Scenario #2, the surname on the census is not the original, is not correct etc.

Rumour #1, at some point in the family history the surname changed from Pininski (or the appropriate correct spelling) this has been handed down the generations and may be the key to cracking the mystery of the unknowns.

Rumour #2, the roscoe line were rather wealthy at one point in time, the fortune is gone lost after the records were destroyed in the war. I’d like to be able to put this one to rest. I’m told my great grandparents once travelled to London to find out more, but were unsuccessful.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and if you can help or have any suggestions let me know.

Thanks,

Grant
Melia, Maley, Mealey, Malley, Tite, Pigot, Kerr, Hart, Hall, Roscoe, Connor, Eglin

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Roscoe
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 April 11 09:38 BST (UK) »
Hiya Grant....the Roscoe family ( still here in Garston /Speke /Prescot area of South Liverpool) were mostly Watchmakers from Prescot in the 19th century...can I ask where you have the family living in the 1861 census..
allan :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 April 11 11:48 BST (UK) »
I take it you have done a phonetic search for Robert on free bmd ,to eliminate candidates,
birth dates on census returns vary for most of our ancestors,

Robert Roscoe 1855,Ormskirk,
this is only a year out,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline GMelia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 April 11 21:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Allan,

In 1861 the family is at 10 Court 6 Nash Grove, Liverpool. Susannah is listed as a dressmaker.

Grant
Melia, Maley, Mealey, Malley, Tite, Pigot, Kerr, Hart, Hall, Roscoe, Connor, Eglin

Offline GMelia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 April 11 22:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Radcliff,

Yea, done the bmd search, brings back a good few matches for Elizabeth and Robert but little for Helen. I'm trying to find a pattern before speculating with birth certificates from the gro. Cost implications are holding me back but it may be an option as a last resort.

Thanks, Grant

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 April 11 22:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Grant,

does your Robert's marriage certificate give an occupation for his father Robert?

Also Susannah is born c 1822 according to 1861 (not that it helps at all) but I wondered if you had any other reason to believe she was born c 1833?

heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GMelia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 April 11 22:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Heywood,

My mistake in the orignal post, she was born 1822, your correct, I'll need to try update that.

Robert Roscoe Senior was a ship carpenter according to the cert.

Thanks

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 April 11 22:42 BST (UK) »
There is this in 1851 which is  ??? ??? ???

1851 HO107; Piece: 2187; Folio: 497; Page: 19

33 Harper Street Liverpool

Robert Pavlosky 36 yrs Shipwright
Susanah Pavlosky 30 yrs
Ann Pavlosky 10 yrs
Margaret Pavlosky 8 yrs
all born Liverpool

There is another family Thomas Pavlosky in censuses who could be a brother to Robert and he is a son Robert born a similar time so it's not him in BMD.

I can't find Robert and co after 1851 and there is really nothing to link them other than the vague similarity to Pininksi. I feel a bit daft posting this at the moment  ::)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 April 11 22:52 BST (UK) »
I don't feel a bit daft now  :D :D

baptism:

June 8th 1862 Liverpool All Saints
Charles Pavlosky parents Robert (carpenter) and Susannah
address: No 10 Court, Nash Grove

August 5th 1855 Richard - parents Richard and Susannah  ???

Ann -1841 and Ellen 1863