Author Topic: St Swithin, Walcot  (Read 11152 times)

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St Swithin, Walcot
« on: Friday 22 April 11 16:09 BST (UK) »
I'm told that Somerset Heritage Centre have transcriptions of St Swithins, Walcot, and that these have been indexed by surname and by date.  ONLY if this is true, then I would be most grateful if someone could look up a burial for me.

The name is James Archbell, and as I have a fairly wide timespan 1805-1837 (his death does not appear on Civil Registration), then this is a feasible request only IF the transcriptions are by surname.  I would not dream of asking anyone to search such a wide range otherwise.  His widow, Susan/Susannah died on 4 September 1844.  There is also the possibility that his youngest daughter, Elizabeth, was baptised there in 1805.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  :)

BumbleB
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: St Swithin, Walcot
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 April 11 16:22 BST (UK) »
Hello BumbleB,

Some of the registers for St Swithins, Walcot have been transcribed and can be found on Freereg.

Having said this, I cannot find a burial for James Archbell there in the years you suggest.

I did find a baptism for Elizabeth ARCHIBALD at Bath Abbey on 17 June 1804. She is shown as the daughter of James and Susanna ARCHIBALD.

Freereg has another entry for a baptism of Amelia ARCHBELL at Bath Abbey on 8 August 1802. She is shown as the daughter of James and Susanna ARCHBELL.

http://www.freereg.org.uk

Jo.

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 April 11 16:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jo.  I did know about Amelia in 1802, but didn't realise that Elizabeth was also at Bath Abbey in 1804.  Do I take it that Bath Abbey did not conduct marriages?  I haven't checked on FreeREG, so that could be a stupid question  :-X  I must admit that I'm banking on St Swithin because that is where James and Susan/Susanna were married, plus, as the records have been indexed by surname, it's not too onerous a quest to ask.  I wouldn't dream of asking anyone to trawl the registers for a death over such a long time period - now even longer as Elizabeth was born 1804  ;D

Any other suggestions you may have to offer are gratefully received, as I have no personal knowledge of Bath and Walcot.  And James Archbell did not hail from that area either, if he's the person I think he is, he was born in Tadcaster in 1778, and a hairdresser by trade.

BumbleB
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 April 11 17:54 BST (UK) »
Hi BumbleB

Another invaluable resource are the files of transcriptions held on the Yahoo Somerset Hundreds site - I notice that St Swithin Burials are not yet complete for the period you are searching, but by joining, you will be able to keep in touch with the progress of the transcribing - you can also check the other parishes in the City. The address is:

http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/bathforumhundred

Steve
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 April 11 17:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks Steve
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 April 11 16:33 BST (UK) »
Hello BumbleB,

Have you ever tried to find a Will for James Archbell? The grant of Probate would give you the exact year and date of death.

You have the year of Susannah's death as 1844, so she should be on the 1841 census somewhere. Do you know where she was then? I presume you have the place of her burial. Could James be there too?

The other possibility is that if he had family connections to Tadcaster, could he have been buried in a family grave there?

Jo

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 April 11 16:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Jo:  If only I did have her burial whereabouts, that would make it a lot simpler.  :)

1841 Susan (said to be born 1777 and not in county) was in Northampton Street, daughter Elizabeth was in Alfred Street, both in Walcot.  Amelia was married by this time to Solomon Beattie.

I thought I had Susannah's death certificate, but it's gone AWOL for the moment.  I'll have another scout through all my Archbell files, although I do know that it does not give James' first name - just widow of  - Archbell and he was a hairdresser.  I must find it!!!!

No, he's not in Tadcaster - I have transcribed all the Archbells in Tadcaster since 1699, and Healaugh by Tadcaster since 1633, and have hatched, matched and despatched most of them.  One or two of them managed to escape to other parts of England and as far as South Africa and Australia, but I'm working on them.  James is one of these escapees.

I don't know whether he left a will, it's certainly not a Canterbury one, and I'm not sure where Somerset wills are housed.

BumbleB
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 April 11 17:05 BST (UK) »
I knew I had her death certificate - she was living at 9 Fountain Buildings, aged 65.  Informant was Solomon Bettie, and so he obviously did not know the name - he married Amelia in 1829, so perhaps this narrows the search even further.

BumbleB
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 25 April 11 15:38 BST (UK) »
Hello BumbleB,

It is a puzzle for sure.  ???

I think it requires a look up in the RO, or parish registers at least. A Will, or Wills, as it could be Susannah made a Will too, might help. I have looked at the Somerset RO website and they don't have an online database of Wills. It might be worth a call, or message, to them to see if they can advise.

http://www1.somerset.gov.uk/archives/

There is also the Bath Archives who might have some ideas.

http://www.batharchives.co.uk/default.aspx

Walcot is only 1 mile from Bath so there could even be a burial(s) there.

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/SOM/Walcot/

Jo.