Author Topic: Bride of Oscar Charles Flute born Astwood  (Read 4816 times)

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bride of Oscar Charles Flute born Astwood
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 12 May 11 20:39 BST (UK) »
Have any of your Flute family members tied up with the Wright family of Astwood let me know....  my sister's husband was from Stagsden whose roots were from Astwood........& if you know a Jackie Flute c 1950 let me know...   
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline vivijune

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 12 May 11 21:25 BST (UK) »
William Walker Flute born 1801, married Caroline Timms, then married an Elizabeth Sanders (sometimes spelled Saunders) when she died so they had 7 children from that second marriage.) My lineage comes from William's only daughter with Caroline, Harriet. Her son is William Hart Flute which is where Oscar fits in. He's my grandmother's brother. Thomas Walker Flute married a Susannah Wright who was an Astwood neighbor which is probably where your sister's husband's connection springs from. Jonas married an Ann and had 10 children. Loads of Flutes and Wrights by 1901!

I got mesmerized going through all the census records for Astwood/ Stagsden because all these Flute families including the 2 Williams and brothers Thomas and Jonas + Harriet raised their families side by side either in Bury End or Bury Lane or on the High St. Then their children did the same (William Hart, Charles and James just to mention the men.) They all lived through several decades in close proximity with the same neighbor families.... sometimes they married them: Barcock, Huckle, Wright Litchfield, Hobbs, Fensom, Wilding.

I came across my grandmother's marriage certificate yesterday and a Sanders was a witness in Wellingborough in 1898 along with her father William Hart Flute so they came in from Astwood together. Stepbrothers? The more I dig I get a sense that these neighbor "families" were really close, liked each other's company and watched out for each other. Thanks again for your help. 

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 13 May 11 08:10 BST (UK) »
Thomas Walker Flute married Susannah wright on 22 April 1939. Thomas was a widower at the time. Witnesses were Frederick Wright (Susannah's brother) & Elizabeth Payne.  Thomas previously had married Eliza Ashmore on 17 Jan 1832 at Astwood, witnesses Elizabeth Payne & William Rogers. Eliza was buried at Astwood on 17 Apr 1838 aged 30.

Susannah Wright was daughter of William Wright & Ann Falkner who married at Astwood on 18 Oct 1796. I haven't yet linked this Wright family to my sister's husbands tree. HOWEVER - Thomas & Susannah had son Charles baptised 22 Dec 1848. Charles married Eliza Wright on 8 May 1871; she was the daughter of Eli Wright & Sarah Tyrell. Eli 1824 had son Thomas 1865 who had son Percy 1904 who had son Gerald Thomas Wright 1941 (= sister's husband), so I have now linked your lot to my tree.

cheers John
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline vivijune

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 16 May 11 17:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much to Wozzle and John P and matt94 who helped me with this one. As I said just another example of how someone on the Bitchenor tree found reasons to marry a Flute. If I hadn't posed the question I would never have known about this one.

I'll move this post into the "Completed." file this week.

Offline FAR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 20 December 11 22:01 GMT (UK) »
William Walker Flute born 1801, married Caroline Timms, then married an Elizabeth Sanders (sometimes spelled Saunders) when she died so they had 7 children from that second marriage.) My lineage comes from William's only daughter with Caroline, Harriet. Her son is William Hart Flute which is where Oscar fits in. He's my grandmother's brother. Thomas Walker Flute married a Susannah Wright who was an Astwood neighbor which is probably where your sister's husband's connection springs from. Jonas married an Ann and had 10 children. Loads of Flutes and Wrights by 1901!

I got mesmerized going through all the census records for Astwood/ Stagsden because all these Flute families including the 2 Williams and brothers Thomas and Jonas + Harriet raised their families side by side either in Bury End or Bury Lane or on the High St. Then their children did the same (William Hart, Charles and James just to mention the men.) They all lived through several decades in close proximity with the same neighbor families.... sometimes they married them: Barcock, Huckle, Wright Litchfield, Hobbs, Fensom, Wilding.

I came across my grandmother's marriage certificate yesterday and a Sanders was a witness in Wellingborough in 1898 along with her father William Hart Flute so they came in from Astwood together. Stepbrothers? The more I dig I get a sense that these neighbor "families" were really close, liked each other's company and watched out for each other. Thanks again for your help. 

Offline FAR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 20 December 11 22:10 GMT (UK) »
Oscar Flute is my Grandfather. He had two children Geoffery Charles and Mary each in turn had two children, my father was Geoffrey. There was another Flute family in the village but no one had established the connection. Oscar parted from Eva after the birth of Mary they stayed married but apart till death. He in turn had a true love and lived with her in a caravan in Stagsden Bedfordshire. Eva lived in Turvey for the rest of her life.

Offline vivijune

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 20 December 11 23:28 GMT (UK) »
I'm so glad to hear from you. Oscar always sounded like a lovely man and if he found happiness towards the end of his life that's information I didn't have until now and it pleases me no end! Mary was my mother's bridesmaid and as a child I visited Abbey Close to see Eva. I even have photos. I also have a couple of Oscar which may have come from Mary. I lost touch with Mary's family when I emigrated back in the 70's. Perhaps I can help you connect the other threads with Flutes in the village but also in Astwood. As we can see if Oscar was your grandfather he is my great uncle.

PS. I can see you have posted twice and I think you have to post 3 times before I can send you a private message.

Seasons Greetings!

Offline FAR

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 21 December 11 09:00 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I read your other message before this one. Alternate path is preferred.

FAR