Author Topic: (COMPLETE)Randwick cemetery James HEMPHILL 1950  (Read 13069 times)

Offline melandjamie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
(COMPLETE)Randwick cemetery James HEMPHILL 1950
« on: Saturday 23 April 11 05:25 BST (UK) »
I'm hoping someone might be able to help me, I'm trying to figure out if this is the relative of mine i've been trying to hunt down.
I've found a newpaper funeral notice for a James Hemphill on the 18th July 1950 of 32 Suffolk St. he seems to have been married to a Clara Hemphill who died in 1947.
I live in Melbourne so i can't just go and have a look to see if there is anything else written on the head stone that might tell us if he's the one we're looking for so i was wondering if anyone knew any other way i could find out.

thanks in advance  :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Randwick cemetery James Hemphill 1950
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 April 11 05:35 BST (UK) »
There is the likely d.c. registration INDEXED at NSW BDM online ... showing he was 66 years, reference 15027

A transcript of that cert will give you details of his marriage/s and children  and lots of other family history information that the informant may have provided.  It will also have details of the funeral director and the Revd conducting the service. 

Transcript agents are listed on the NSW resource board here at RChat.  And also on the NSW BDM online website ... 

As you are in Melbourne, while my suggestion doesn't get you the information from any headstone, it does give you an alternative way of finding out if there is a connection. 

Clara Hemphill's NSW d.c. is indexed online at reference 7062
showing Clara Edith was recorded with parents James Cornelius and Alice and that her death was registered at Paddington. 

Edit to add, electoral rolls from 1930 through to 1943 have a James Hempill, tobacco worker at 32 Suffolk St Paddington and also a Clara Hempill at same address.  James was still at that address on 1949 roll. 
Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Randwick cemetery James Hemphill 1950
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 April 11 05:57 BST (UK) »
I can't help you with a possible MI at Randwick Cemetery.  

James' death registration states he was 66 years old ie born c1884.
http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/Index/IndexingOrder.cgi/search?event=births

15027/1950    
HEMPHILL    James   66 years Sydney
District Sydney

This could be his birth
1420/1884
HEMPHILL James
Father John Mother Jane
District Sydney

Possible marriage
5724/1924    
HEMPHILL    James   
CROWLEY    Clara    
District Petersham

There is also notice on TROVE stating that James HEMPHILL, retired tobacco worker, died intestate.    

According to the electoral rolls 1930 - 1943 Clara and James lived at 32 Suffolk Street, Paddington.  That is the address given for James' residence in 1950 in his funeral notice.

Do you have other information that this is James' wife's death?  She was Clara only [no 2nd given name] on both her marriage and the electoral rolls.

Death
7062/1947    
HEMPHILL    Clara Edith
Father James Cornelius  Mother Alice
District Paddington

You can purchase transcriptions of certificates in NSW for $18.
http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/howToTraceYouFamTree.htm#TranscriptionAgent

Information on certificates in NSW
http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/familyHistoryCertificates.htm

Cheers
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Randwick cemetery James HEMPHILL 1950
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 April 11 06:03 BST (UK) »
Birth of the above Clara E with mistranscribed surname.

6356/1887
CROWLY Clara E Crowly
Father James  Mother Alice
District Petersham

Cheers
Cando

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 April 11 06:12 BST (UK) »
Mel
You could have a look at this site
http://www.randwick.nsw.gov.au/A_sense_of_community/Library/Local_studies/Family_history/Cemetery_records/index.aspx
and maybe contact Randwick Council to see if there is a headstone?
Or see if AIGS or GSV have the Warwick Adams book of transcripts of M.I.s.  If you're not a member of either  ???   ???  then they probably have a research service which could give you the info in exchange for a nominal amount.

If neither of those work, PM me before Friday and I'll have a look at QFHS library (have to go to a meeting there Friday morning). We have 2 Adams books plus one of St. Jude's cemetery Randwick, I see.

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 April 11 06:12 BST (UK) »
The Randwick Library may be able to help you with a transcription if there is a headstone.

http://www.randwick.nsw.gov.au/A_sense_of_community/Library/Local_studies/Family_history/Cemetery_records/index.aspx

Adams, Warwick: Randwick General Cemetery: burials from 10 September 1874 to 22 November 1983
Adams, Warwick: Randwick General Cemetery: transcripts of monumental inscriptions
Cripps, Ian Thomas: A guide to the historical significance of Randwick General Cemetery
Randwick Cemetery registers on microfiche 1874-1983

Cheers
Cando

Offline shakel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 April 11 06:18 BST (UK) »
Hi.....
If you know where the grave is located in Randwick Cemetery, I am happy to photograph it for you and send it on - I live close by so it is no trouble......
Shakel

Offline melandjamie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 23 April 11 06:33 BST (UK) »
wow!!!! thank you so much everyone boy have i got a lot of work to do lol

This could be his birth
1420/1884
HEMPHILL James
Father John Mother Jane
District Sydney

This i know for sure i the man i'm after,it's after he gets sent to the Sobroan i loose him  :)

Offline melandjamie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 23 April 11 06:36 BST (UK) »
Hi.....
If you know where the grave is located in Randwick Cemetery, I am happy to photograph it for you and send it on - I live close by so it is no trouble......
Shakel

that would be fantastic, if i can find out were it is i will let you know  :)