Author Topic: (COMPLETE)Randwick cemetery James HEMPHILL 1950  (Read 13072 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Randwick cemetery James HEMPHILL 1950
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 23 April 11 11:00 BST (UK) »
There's a lot of population movement from Ireland to Scotland and vice versa in 19thC ... so it is possible that was the lads father in the 1880's as crew on ships into Sydney... 

of Glasgow may just indicate when he signed he answered with where he had been raised, obviously it is not possible for him to know in 1880's where his parents (ie grandparents of the lads) were residing in the 1890's ...

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 23 April 11 13:01 BST (UK) »
Did James marry twice.... :-\

12626/1911
HEMPHILL    James   
GORDON    Julia O    
District Canterbury

Divorce#0195   
HEMPHILL   Julia Olive   
HEMPHILL   James

The newspaper snippet in 1924
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0cvl/

and then the marriage I have already posted

5724/1924    
HEMPHILL    James
CROWLEY    Clara
District Petersham

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline melandjamie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 23 April 11 14:29 BST (UK) »

12626/1911
HEMPHILL    James   
GORDON    Julia O    
District Canterbury

Divorce#0195   
HEMPHILL   Julia Olive   
HEMPHILL   James

5724/1924    
HEMPHILL    James
CROWLEY    Clara
District Petersham

Cando

ooohh you might have found something there, it would explain the late marriage to Clara. i'll have to dig a bit deeper in the morning thank you  :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 24 April 11 04:29 BST (UK) »
From Sands 1900 Directory

Hemphill, J.A. commercial broker, 5 Moore St (I think this would now be Martin Place, Sydney), with p.r. (Private Residence) at George St Marrickville. 

From Sands 1890 Directory
Hemphill, Jane Mrs, midwife, 31 Henderson St Alexandria
Hemphill, John, engineer, 31 Henderson St Alexandria

From Sands 1892 Suburban Directory .... 31 Henderson St Alexandria was vacant.  (noting one of my forebears lived much further up same street in that era, and that) 31 would be on the northern side of the street.

Sands 1905 Directory .... J.A. Hemphill at same addresses/entry as 1900.  Also there's two Mrs M.A. Hemphill entries...
54 Foveaux St (near Central Station) and 14 Wilson St Redfern .... perhaps two ladies ...

NSW electoral roll 1903 ... no HEMPHILL at Marrickville ...

Perhaps these sightings will help...

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 24 April 11 05:04 BST (UK) »
Possibly the boys mum arriving in NSW for the first time !

HEMPHILL Jane 23 Ellora 1879 Sydney and daughter

Jane Hemphill, aged 23, with daughter Margaret aged 4, into Sydney in April 1879 on the Ellora.   Jane is listed as a WIFE and family (not a widow), and she was a housekeeper, C of E and could read and write.  Her native place was Autrim ... I am sure this is in Ireland.

Cheers,  JM

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 24 April 11 05:13 BST (UK) »

12626/1911
HEMPHILL    James   
GORDON    Julia O    
District Canterbury

Divorce#0195   
HEMPHILL   Julia Olive   
HEMPHILL   James

5724/1924    
HEMPHILL    James
CROWLEY    Clara
District Petersham

Cando

ooohh you might have found something there, it would explain the late marriage to Clara. i'll have to dig a bit deeper in the morning thank you  :)

Either of these certificates would deatil the parents of both the bride and groom. 

Cheers
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 24 April 11 06:11 BST (UK) »
Jane and Margaret may have remained onboard the Ellora and returned to Sydney in Sept 1879 on that same ship.  I am attaching a snip from the Sept voyage as it may help determine Jane's nee name and origins and even poss place of marriage to her husband John who was at that time in Sydney and noted as the Father of Jane's Lanark born daughter.  It is difficult to read.

Cheers,  JM

Should that be ANTRIM, Ireland .... also is it likely that LANARK (daughter's place of birth) would be Scotland .. and I cannot figure out Jane's parents names at all .... (but it does say C of Eng and "do" would be ditto for read and write .... etc)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 24 April 11 07:19 BST (UK) »
Perhaps something of interest

From the Andrews Newspapers Index Cards (England) a newspaper cutting

"Would the next of kin of James Hemphill late of Paddington, Sydney, Australia communicate with The Public Trustee of 19 O'Connell St Sydney" .... 

this would be from UK newspaper, which is overwritten in ink pen, I can read 1951, but not the month or newspaper.

Cheers,  JM 

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 24 April 11 07:30 BST (UK) »

Should that be ANTRIM, Ireland .... also is it likely that LANARK (daughter's place of birth) would be Scotland .. and I cannot figure out Jane's parents names at all .... (but it does say C of Eng and "do" would be ditto for read and write .... etc)

Belfast is the capital of County Antrim in (Northern) Ireland.
Wiki says Lanark was the county town of Lanarkshire (Scotland).  I personally haven't found any other place called Lanark.

If the parents are the two names in the middle of the snip, I read them as James & Margaret (Magt)
Caldwell.

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)