Author Topic: (COMPLETE)Randwick cemetery James HEMPHILL 1950  (Read 13082 times)

Offline melandjamie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Randwick cemetery James HEMPHILL 1950
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 24 April 11 11:35 BST (UK) »
Jane and Margaret may have remained onboard the Ellora and returned to Sydney in Sept 1879 on that same ship.  I am attaching a snip from the Sept voyage as it may help determine Jane's nee name and origins and even poss place of marriage to her husband John who was at that time in Sydney and noted as the Father of Jane's Lanark born daughter.  It is difficult to read.

Cheers,  JM

Should that be ANTRIM, Ireland .... also is it likely that LANARK (daughter's place of birth) would be Scotland .. and I cannot figure out Jane's parents names at all .... (but it does say C of Eng and "do" would be ditto for read and write .... etc)

thank you this is definetly my family. Jane and Margaret arrived on the Ellora. I have Jane and Johns marriage certificate, they got married in Antrim which is part of belfast in Ireland. Janes parents names were James and Margaret Caldwell of Belfast. I've seen it spelt Cromwell and calwell. they must have lived in Lanark Scotland fo a while as i have an address there from Margarets birth certificate. they also had a son before margaret named Thomas William Hemphill and he was born in Sept 1874 but i have no record of him after that and he wasn't on the ships records so i'm uessing he died either at birth or not long after.

Offline melandjamie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 24 April 11 11:36 BST (UK) »

From Sands 1890 Directory
Hemphill, Jane Mrs, midwife, 31 Henderson St Alexandria
Hemphill, John, engineer, 31 Henderson St Alexandria

From Sands 1892 Suburban Directory .... 31 Henderson St Alexandria was vacant.  (noting one of my forebears lived much further up same street in that era, and that) 31 would be on the northern side of the street.

Perhaps these sightings will help...

Cheers,  JM

Thanks thats mine as well :O) i didn't have those addresses so thank you

Offline melandjamie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 24 April 11 11:41 BST (UK) »
Perhaps something of interest

From the Andrews Newspapers Index Cards (England) a newspaper cutting

"Would the next of kin of James Hemphill late of Paddington, Sydney, Australia communicate with The Public Trustee of 19 O'Connell St Sydney" .... 

this would be from UK newspaper, which is overwritten in ink pen, I can read 1951, but not the month or newspaper.

Cheers,  JM 

wow that's very interesting if that's my James i thought all the family ended up here in Australia but i am still missing one brother Samuel. maybe he ended up back in the UK and that's why i haven't been able to find him.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 25 April 11 05:07 BST (UK) »
I think that the cutting of 1951 is most likely your lad .... Reasoning : his d.c. is the only likely registration on NSW BDM online index that could have prompted the Public Trustee to place an Advert in 1951 .... 

Clara had died in 1947 (NSW BDM ref 7062) as Clara Edith Hemphill.  Transcript of that d.c. would confirm if she had children by James. 

You have him as having no issue, thus the Public Trustee must have been appointed to administer his estate...  The placement of that Advert in UK paper doesn't mean they KNEW there could be UK family, but that their files indicated there was some reason to believe there could be UK family.... 

NSW Public Trustee is still at 19 O'Connell St Sydney ...

I wonder where their Archives from 1950-51 are held?

Trust Service Centre Sydney   GPO Box 7, Sydney NSW 1005
Email: tagtscsydney(don't forget to put the usual "at" symbol here)tag.nsw.gov.au

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline melandjamie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 25 April 11 05:55 BST (UK) »
Perhaps something of interest

From the Andrews Newspapers Index Cards (England) a newspaper cutting

"Would the next of kin of James Hemphill late of Paddington, Sydney, Australia communicate with The Public Trustee of 19 O'Connell St Sydney" .... 

this would be from UK newspaper, which is overwritten in ink pen, I can read 1951, but not the month or newspaper.

Cheers,  JM 

the site I'm using has this down as a date of 11Th march 1951 and the initials written in pen over the top of it look like it say N.W.H 3-1951 which would make me think they are referring to the 3rd month of 1951 but i have no idea what the N.W.H is maybe the name of the newspaper? any ideas?

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 25 April 11 06:50 BST (UK) »
I thought I had posted this snippet... :-\
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0cwn/

Some certificates would be helpful.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 25 April 11 06:51 BST (UK) »
NWH

... no ideas at all .... but your interpretation of the ink overwriting on that Ad is logical, and I agree it is their citation ... and it is definitely a cutting from a newspaper.  It mentions Australia, so definitely NOT an Aussie paper, and it is on an index that mentions ENGLAND ... so most likely an English newspaper.  

H quite often stands for Herald in newspaper speak .... N W ... North West .... New World ....

perhaps a new thread on the Common Room asking for specific info as to NWL in 1951 newspaper cutting .. mentioning this thread ...  

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 25 April 11 06:57 BST (UK) »
Agh,  I must have missed that .... Intestate ... but of course, so that would get fairly quickly to the Public Trustee's domain for action ...

JAMES HEMPHILL late of Paddington N.S.W.. Retired Tobacco Worker, died 14th July, 1950, Intestate. Admini- stration was granted on 27th October, 1950. 

JM

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 25 April 11 06:57 BST (UK) »
N.W.H. could be North West Herald but google only gives this (that I can find) as a paper in Chicago USA.

Seems feasible that there would be one with a name like that, in UK?

Of course it might just be the initials of the clerk / transcriber??
Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)