Author Topic: (COMPLETE)Randwick cemetery James HEMPHILL 1950  (Read 13071 times)

Offline melandjamie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Randwick cemetery James HEMPHILL 1950
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 23 April 11 06:39 BST (UK) »
Mel
You could have a look at this site
http://www.randwick.nsw.gov.au/A_sense_of_community/Library/Local_studies/Family_history/Cemetery_records/index.aspx
and maybe contact Randwick Council to see if there is a headstone?
Or see if AIGS or GSV have the Warwick Adams book of transcripts of M.I.s.  If you're not a member of either  ???   ???  then they probably have a research service which could give you the info in exchange for a nominal amount.

If neither of those work, PM me before Friday and I'll have a look at QFHS library (have to go to a meeting there Friday morning). We have 2 Adams books plus one of St. Jude's cemetery Randwick, I see.

Dawn M

thank you, i'll look into all those things and get back to you if i have no luck

Offline shakel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 23 April 11 06:42 BST (UK) »
I'll wait to hear from you - sorry i can't help with the actual location  :'(
Shakel

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 23 April 11 06:44 BST (UK) »
There's James Hemphill aged 4 and John Hemphill aged 7 both placed into care on 27 March 1889 ... as per an online index at NSW State Records Office ...  who offer a copy service for that set of records ...  I would expect these to show the names of the lads parents and if the lads were brothers ... (both entered on same day, so likely)...  That set of records should also show when each was discharged and further details, perhaps most of the details would be on the older lads entry rather than on James own entry.  

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 23 April 11 06:49 BST (UK) »
NSW State Records online index also has mention of Jane Hempill and James Hempill under the heading of Divorce Index .... this is from 1894 .... it may be a Divorce, but it may also be Jane seeking some maintenance order from the courts and the courts directing James to provide etc ....  the 1880's and into the 1890's saw an economic depression/recession in NSW ... it may be that the two lads were entered into care because of circumstances brought on by that economic downturn. 

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline melandjamie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 23 April 11 06:55 BST (UK) »
There's James Hemphill aged 4 and John Hemphill aged 7 both placed into care on 27 March 1889 ... as per an online index at NSW State Records Office ...  who offer a copy service for that set of records ...  I would expect these to show the names of the lads parents and if the lads were brothers ... (both entered on same day, so likely)...  That set of records should also show when each was discharged and further details, perhaps most of the details would be on the older lads entry rather than on James own entry.  

Cheers,  JM

thank you
yes these are my boys also  :) the 2 boys were put into care when their mother went back to Ireland (not sure why) and then their father got them out a few months later

Offline melandjamie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 23 April 11 06:59 BST (UK) »
NSW State Records online index also has mention of Jane Hempill and James Hempill under the heading of Divorce Index .... this is from 1894 .... it may be a Divorce, but it may also be Jane seeking some maintenance order from the courts and the courts directing James to provide etc ....  the 1880's and into the 1890's saw an economic depression/recession in NSW ... it may be that the two lads were entered into care because of circumstances brought on by that economic downturn. 

Cheers,  JM

thanks  :)
this was the parents of the boys (they had 10 children in total) they did end up getting divorce and from what we can tell off one of the boys entrance forms  to the Soboarn (the mother was running a brothel lol)his father went back to Ireland but i can't find any record of him leaving or what happened to him

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 23 April 11 07:08 BST (UK) »
I think their mum must have returned to NSW by 1894 .... Do you have copy of that file as it should note the children, ages etc and any maintenance payments etc...

I note there's an index showing a Jane HEMPHILL marrying a Henry GOODWIN in 1903 registered Sydney ref 7856.    Perhaps a transcript of that m.c. would should if Jane was spinster or if a second marriage...  

Have you located the d.c. for the lads father?  Thinking perhaps that one of the lads was the informant and that the address of the informant was noted....

You write that you lost James at the  Sobroan ....  I am sure there's ways to find him again   http://www.flickr.com/photos/state-records-nsw/5474994706/

Cheers,  JM

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 23 April 11 08:31 BST (UK) »
Tell me, people, what's the Sobroan?   ???   ???   ???

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline melandjamie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 23 April 11 08:39 BST (UK) »
I think their mum must have returned to NSW by 1894 .... Do you have copy of that file as it should note the children, ages etc and any maintenance payments etc...

I note there's an index showing a Jane HEMPHILL marrying a Henry GOODWIN in 1903 registered Sydney ref 7856.    Perhaps a transcript of that m.c. would should if Jane was spinster or if a second marriage...  

Have you located the d.c. for the lads father?  Thinking perhaps that one of the lads was the informant and that the address of the informant was noted....

You write that you lost James at the  Sobroan ....  I am sure there's ways to find him again   http://www.flickr.com/photos/state-records-nsw/5474994706/

Cheers,  JM

i can't find any reference to her leaving the country i'm just going by what was written on  her other son Samuels entrance forms to the Sobroan (they we're naughty boys lol)it said she had taken the other 3 boys from the boat and took them back to England. They all obviously came back as Jane and her 2nd husband Henry Goodwin her sons George Washington Lincoln Hemphill and John Hemphill are buried with her in Rookwood cemetery. Her other son james is the one i think is in Randwick cemetery and Samuel i have absolutley no idea were he went. he was aboard the Sobaron in 1897 and then i have nothing  :)