Author Topic: RICHARD GARRETT family from Southwark, London  (Read 33883 times)

Offline Mangano

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: RICHARD GARRETT family from Southwark, London
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 17 July 11 00:52 BST (UK) »
My Great-Aunt Alice Garrett lived to be 100 years and 11 months. She married Selah P. Garrett on 7 November 1917 here in America. She died on her wedding anniversary in 1995. She idly said when visited her years ago that she would like to live 100 years. Perhaps her husband heard her. He must have called her back on their anniversary.
They raised 3 children, Ruth, Doris and Bobby Addison.

Offline Mangano

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 19 July 11 22:36 BST (UK) »
In 1940, my great-grandparents George James Garrett and Emma Andersdotter celebrated 50 years of marriage.

As my great-aunt, Anna Elizabeth Garrett Sheppard wrote in her diary...Saturday 2 March 1940....Rain & Snow....All folks got to Mother's. I went over in afternoon. Mother spent day with Dot. Ruth down lots and Got Joe over. 25 of relations at supper of Turkey & fixings. Got table & chairs from Hall. (?) & Doris trimmed with yellow crepe paper. Bernard brought up wedding cake.
Business poor at shop & Joe felt down in dumps. Al & Emma went home after party.  Selah & alice stayed at Bob's. Dorsi went with Oxley. Bernard sick after party. Arthur Collins took 2 pictures of family!.

The anniversary was actually Febraury 28th but the party was given on the 2nd of March...They were married in 1890 possibly in Tarrytown, New York but I don't have exact documents...

Offline Mangano

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 05 August 11 02:37 BST (UK) »
another letter from Southwark.....

Aug 13th (18)88
1 Mary Anne Place
Union Streett
Boro S. E.

Dear George,
 We received your Letter after it had been wandering about for a week owing to your not putting Union St. after Mary Anne Place but better late than never. Mother died of "Chronic Terebriums accelerated by coma" so the Doctor's Certificatte said, since then I have learned that coma means dropsy, what the other is I don't know.
The reason I did not write my second letter as promised: owing so to the unsettled state of home affairs which is not settled yet.
I am sorry to say the other reason is we are very busy at the shop. I have not left work some evenings before 11:15 sometimes 11:30; Saturdays at 6:30 Although so busy I have not had a rise this year the govenor says that though there is a lot of trade there is no profit.
I have just finished my fortnights, holiday which I spent at home looking after the bookstall business. Unfortunately there was only one auction which was held last thursday for the sale of a Lawyers library which is being all the law books was of no use to me. I met Bloodsworth up the Cut on Friday When I gave him your address he said he would write to you.

Bloodswork
No. 3 King St.
Lambeth Walk
London

Offline Mangano

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 05 August 11 02:47 BST (UK) »

March 18, (18)89

Dear George,
 I saw your letter complaining about not receiving any news. This letter was started by me on Aug 13th when I asked Liz to finish it and post it.  You can imagine my surprise when I found that she had not done so. Things at home are not quite right. Father got out of work through Mr. Dick giving him a black eye, just a month after mother's death. Since then we have been humbugged about by him, he has had 1 sentence of 3 months, 2 separate months, and now he is committed to take his trial for stripping the lead off a warehouse roof, with three others.
 Miss Liz threw herself out of work when mother died and has only just got a job.
 I have kept the above troubles from reaching you through any of the previous letters; because I thought you might have enough troubles yourself and I only write you this now because you wish to know.
 Wishing you every success
 I remain yours truly,
T. Garrett

Offline Mangano

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 05 August 11 02:56 BST (UK) »

Another letter written to George J Garrett from T(Thomas)Garrett in March of 1889

The book man up the Cut has 6 barrows, which himself two Sons & two strange men look after. I shall have another try this week down Chancery Lane in my dinner hour. Mr & Mrs. Singleton send their respects & hopes you are jogging along alright. They have been very good to us in lending us money to pay the Rent so I hope you will remember them in your next letter. All other friends and relations seem so sheer clean of us like rats deserting a sinking ship.
Dear George I now write to let you know how we are getting on father is still looking for work but can't get any I have none myself as everything seems so quiet in the city, Bob is still at the same place and seems to work hard and please don't forget your photograph in your next letter.
(March 19th 1889-Some more ill luck-Bob was sacked this morning).

Offline Mangano

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 11 August 11 15:04 BST (UK) »
 From what I've heard, Richard Garrett and Elizabeth Maher were married at St. Mary's in Lambeth the 30th of October in 1864. Not certain though.

Offline Mangano

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 25 December 11 05:34 GMT (UK) »
So from what I understand, Richard Garrett, who was born in 1835 and married Elizabeth Maheron 30 October 1864, was the son of
John Wells Garrett 1802- and Caroline Matilda Pask1807-1881,

and the grandson of Francis Luke Garrett1780-    of Southwark, and Elizabeth Wells 1780-    also from Southwark....seems to suggest that my ancestors remained in Southwark, England for generations.

Incredible is the history!

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 25 December 11 12:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi (Merry Xmas)

Garrett transcribed as GARROTT ............

1861 RG9 / 314 / 62 / Surrey / Southwark St Saviour / District 3 / Page 62
52 Ewer Street
John W      Garrott Head 59 Bootmaker
Caroline M  Garrott Wife 53
Richard      Garrott Son 25 Dock Labourer
Elizabeth J  Garrott Dau 11 Hat Tanner (?)
Thomas     Garrott Son    15
Susan       Garrott Dau    11
All born Southwark Surrey

Ewer Street SE1 is still there ("just")

The real interesting bit is this family, a few doors away ................

10 Ewer Street
Michael Maher Head 51 Lambeth
Sarah   Maher Wife  50 Southwark
Alice       Maher Dau   23 Southwark
Sarah   Maher Dau   18 Southwark
Samuel Maher Son   14 Southwark

1871 the Garrett family are still in Ewer Street
Richard, Eliz, children = Richard, George, Thomas, Elizabeth           AND Caroline (Widow)

1851 Garrett transcribed as Gunnell, all born Southwark
52 Ewer Street
John       Gunnell Head    49 Shoe maker
Caroline  Gunnell  Wife    43
Francis   Gunnell  Son    20
Richard   Gunnell  Son    24
William    Gunnell Son    14
Elizabeth Gunnell  Dau   4
James     Gunnell  Son    5
Thomas   Gunnell  Son    3
Susan     Gunnell  Dau   1 Mo
Murtha Bettuford    Lodger 53 Southwark
John Ward    Lodger 60 Southwark
Ann Hughes Lodger 48 Southwark

1841 in Ewer Street (where else?) with a perfect example of age rounding (!)
All born Surrey

John Garrett 35 Shoe Maker
Caroline Garrett 30
John Garrett 10
Francis Garrett 10
Caroline Garrett 10
Richard Garrett 10
William Garrett 5

Regards

Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline Mangano

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 25 December 11 16:12 GMT (UK) »
thank you so much....they really misspelled back then.....