Author Topic: RICHARD GARRETT family from Southwark, London  (Read 33889 times)

Offline LouGarrett

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: RICHARD GARRETT family from Southwark, London
« Reply #81 on: Tuesday 11 November 14 22:00 GMT (UK) »
And we definitely seem to be the Wells-Garretts that had hatters and a hat shop in Walworth Road as I recall my dad, Tom talking of this.

Offline Mangano

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Tuesday 11 November 14 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Being that you've got Wells in the name suggests strongly that we are related.

Offline CottyD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Wednesday 12 November 14 05:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi, It's great to hear from a Wells- Garrett, I thought the name had died out.My Great Grandfather was Francis Wells-Garrett. His occupation was listed as a journeyman hatter. My mother said he worked with other relatives, and made military hats such as the Guards Regiments bearskin hats. That's interesting about a shop in Walworth, it seems to make sense. From what it's worth another family story was that a Wells was the ships doctor on H.M.S Warrior which was the first ironclad it is now at Portsmouth across from Nelsons H.M.S Victory. Visited Warrior a few years ago and checked this story out, and sure a Wells was the Doctor, unexpectedly got a private trip around the ship when the guides found out we had a possible connection. Checked this Wells out it seems he was born in the West Indies, no idea if there is a connection to our Garretts Cheers Dave

Offline CottyD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Wednesday 12 November 14 06:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi, just noticed that that Lou,s Grandfather who was sadly killed in WW2 was a Royal Navy stoker. My Great Uncle John Wells Garrett a son of Francis Wells-Garrett was a regular Royal Navy stoker. Loved visiting him as a child, loved his story's and better was the half crown he always gave me when we left.He was on Admiral Beattys flagship H.M.S Lion at the Battle of Jutland in WW1 and had his nose broken in Hong Kong, great story's, was fascinated by the beautiful honourable discharge certificate which hung on the front room wall. In those days the front room was today's lounge, but only used for visitors etc, funny. He lived in Dagenham near the Ford factory. Cheers Dave

Offline Mangano

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Wednesday 12 November 14 08:44 GMT (UK) »
In my tree I have an Arthur Edwin Wells Garrett, son of Richard Wells Garrett and Catherine Pearson, who married Ellen Eliza Moss....he would be my second cousin, twice removed. There was a mention of being a hatter.

Offline LouGarrett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Wednesday 12 November 14 09:21 GMT (UK) »
Wow - well from what I can make out I believe Arthur Edwin Wells -Garrett to be my grandad's father (ie my dad's grandad). It seems he was a private that died in battle and I found a war grave (a tomb) in Picardie, France that seems to be him.

Do you know what became of Ellen? And did they have a Thomas as a son, ie my grandad? Be good to be sure.

CottyD - it seems my strain of Wells-Garrett's were around Southwark, Waterloo, and not really educated so I'm not sure the Doctor is connected...

Offline CottyD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Wednesday 12 November 14 10:04 GMT (UK) »
Lou, my Wells- Garretts came from Southwark and were poor as well. The Wells connection is very tenuous with regard to the ships doctor. In fact I should not have used the title doctor. In those days ships carried a medical person who was unqualified and frankly was more apt at cutting of arms and legs during action. I have found no connection to our family with this Wells, its probably another family myth.As my Wells-Garretts were hatters and resided in Southwark during the 19th century I think we are probably distantly related.The difficulty I have found in trying to trace Wells-Garrett is that the Wells gets dropped in some records, and at other times is counted as a middle Christian name, and sometimes hyphenated other times not.I hope I have not confused you. Cheers Dave

Offline LouGarrett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Wednesday 12 November 14 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi there - not at all. So have you managed to do a family tree? Be good to find out more about this hat shop/trade.

Offline Mangano

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Wednesday 12 November 14 10:25 GMT (UK) »
From what I understand, Francis Luke Garrett 1783-1843 married Elizabeth Wells 1780-1847 in 1801, London. Francis was from Southwark.
Their son, John Wells Garrett 1802-1864, is also our common ancestor who seems to have been the first to use Wells as a middle name.

It appears that Louise and I would be 4th cousins, once removed, from what I see.