Author Topic: Help with name please  (Read 2673 times)

Offline BevL

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with name please
« on: Sunday 24 April 11 07:13 BST (UK) »
Hi,
On going through public trees I came across not one, but several people with the name of Knockanimpaha, Limerick for the marriage in 1841 of my gg grandparents Patrick Carroll and Mary Power.
Now, I have searched long and hard to find this name and wonder if any one can suggest a name that would be similar to say, someone copying it from a certificate and not reading it correctly.
This is the only thing I can think of, but which means that someone had a marriage certificate to copy from in the first place - and where is it? Then again, someone may have told them the name and they misheard it!
Please make my Easter!
Kind regards
Bev
MOORE (Kent) & FRENCH (Sussex) & Western Australia, LOVE (Kent), ROPER 1810 (N Ireland). ADAM 1808 (Paisley), Scotland, Victoria & West Aust, TROTTER 1700's onwards  Northern Ireland, Scotland & Aust, FLAHERTY 1791/2 (Ireland) CHAPMAN (Kent) &  Western Australia, CARROLL & POWER. Ireland & Western  Australia, FISHER  Lancashire & Western Australia, FIDLER Denton, Lancashire, Victoria, MARSH Essex & Western Australia, COOPER - Southwark, London, Victoria
All to the lucky country.

Offline jericho

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with name please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 April 11 07:24 BST (UK) »
Hi BevL

I don't know about it being a surname, but there is place in Limerick, Ireland called Knockanimpaha.

jericho
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 April 11 10:35 BST (UK) »
1841 is too early for a civil marriage record but the details could have come from a church record of the marriage or a family Bible.

To find townlands and parishes in Ireland see www.thecore.com/seanruad
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 April 11 17:17 BST (UK) »
It means the Hill of the turning. I am sure if you look at it on a map the reason it is called this should be obvious.
 regards.
 Tom.

Offline BevL

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 April 11 05:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you all so much - my sanity is returning and it seems that I may be able to find out something about them at last!
Kind regards
Bev
MOORE (Kent) & FRENCH (Sussex) & Western Australia, LOVE (Kent), ROPER 1810 (N Ireland). ADAM 1808 (Paisley), Scotland, Victoria & West Aust, TROTTER 1700's onwards  Northern Ireland, Scotland & Aust, FLAHERTY 1791/2 (Ireland) CHAPMAN (Kent) &  Western Australia, CARROLL & POWER. Ireland & Western  Australia, FISHER  Lancashire & Western Australia, FIDLER Denton, Lancashire, Victoria, MARSH Essex & Western Australia, COOPER - Southwark, London, Victoria
All to the lucky country.