Author Topic: Thomas Campbell BETTS  (Read 3984 times)

Offline mudgeemaid

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Campbell BETTS
« on: Sunday 24 April 11 11:09 BST (UK) »
Hello Rooschaters
Wondering if someone may be able to help with finding the birth of  Thomas Campbell Betts.
Have been given information but need it confirmed.
Thomas Campbell Betts baptised 12 June 1831 at Witherdale, Suffolk.
His parents were John & Elizabeth.
Hope someone can help to prove this information is correct.
thanking you
regards
mudgeemaid

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Campbell Betts
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 April 11 09:24 BST (UK) »
In 1841 the family is still in Witherdale:

John Betts, 48, Ag Lab
Elizabeth Betts, 49
Rebecca Betts, 17
Robert Betts, 14
William Betts 11
Thomas Betts 8
George Betts 6
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 April 11 09:25 BST (UK) »
In 1851 Thomas is at Metfield:

Thomas Betts, 19, Millers Man, b. Withersdale, Suffolk

(Ref HO107 1796 218 12)
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 April 11 09:28 BST (UK) »
And from England & Wales Christening Records 1530-1906:

Thomas Betts
Christened: 12 Jun 1831
Withersdale, Suffolk
Parents: John Betts, Elizabeth

Offline Aleph

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Campbell BETTS
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 January 13 07:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mudgeemaid

I'm descended from Thomas Campbell Betts and have also been trying to verify his birth details. His marriage and death certificates both give his full name but I haven't been able to find the birth record of anyone with this full name. I'm still not sure that the Thomas Campbell Betts who lived and died in Goolagong (Gooloogong) NSW is the same Thomas Betts who was born at Witherdale, Suffolk. I've reached a bit of a brick wall in trying to verify this.
regards
aleph

Offline Keziah2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 January 13 17:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello Aleph

Welcome to Rootschat.  Can you tell us when your Thomas arrived in Aus - you say you have his marriage certificate - when is that dated?   What did he name his children?  When did he die & how old was he?  Is there anything to suggest he was born in Suffolk?

The use of 'Campbell' as his middle name could give an indication to his mothers maiden name. 

K

Offline Aleph

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 04 January 13 01:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello and thanks for your welcome

Thomas Campbell Betts is a very elusive character. His marriage and death certificates both leave out vital information and there isn't anything to suggest he may have come from Suffolk. I haven't yet found when he arrived in Australia. This is the info I have:
Marriage certificate: Married 19 Dec 1864 at Bungerellingong (a farming property near Gooloogong, NSW), Lachlan River. He was a Bachelor, employer as a blacksmith. His age is given as "above 21" and states "unknown parents". He married Catherine O'Brien, a spinster, occupation, parents and birthplace all given as "unknown". Age is given as "under 21". There is a comment that the bride signed with her mark and that no consent statement recorded. This seems to indicate that Thomas could write his name. Catherine's death certificate says she was born in Cork and was 15 when she married. Still no parents given.
Thomas's death certificate: Died 4 Jan 1886 at Goolagong (old spelling). He was a farmer and aged 54. It states "not known parents" and gives his age at marriage as 33. The "length of time in colony" is blank so there is no indication when he arrived. His children are: Michael, Thomas, John, Mary, James, one female deceased (her name was Margaret Jane).
I have searched birth records in Australia in case he was born here but have nothing conclusive. I have searched shipping records but nothing definite there either, just possibilities.

Yes, Campbell could have been his mother's maiden name. I think the mother of the Thomas Betts who was born in Withersdale in 1831 had the maiden name Aldis.

Family trees I have seen on free web sites say that Thomas came from Suffolk but I haven't been able to verify that. It's a bit of a puzzle - interesting but also frustrating :-) Any suggestions would be appreciated.
regards, Aleph

Offline Keziah2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 04 January 13 07:37 GMT (UK) »
I think you are very wise to be cautious of the Withersdale Thomas Betts. There is a Thomas Betts living in Withersdale Street in 1881 & 1891 born c1833/34. A Thomas Betts age 66 was buried in nearby Metfield on 27 Nov 1900.  Looking at the parents of Withersdale Thomas - John Betts was buried 18 Aug 1867 age 74, Withersdale.  Elizabeth Betts (abode Metfield) was buried 11 Feb 1872 age 80, Withersfield.  Perhaps someone with access to CRs could check this out but it looks like he may have stayed in Suffolk.

The other option for the use of the name Campbell is that he was base born & his mother used his fathers name/surname.

There are quite a few Thomas BETTS c1831 listed on the 1841C.

The Convict Transport Reg only shows up 3 Thomas Betts & of those only I went before 1864 - that was on the Hashemy, 2 Dec 1848.  Convicted at York Assizes but his name was crossed out as disembarked so perhaps he never made it.

Perhaps widen your search by starting a new post on the main board rather than tacking on to an existing post on the Suffolk Board.  There are some devilishly good researchers on Rootschat - I hope someone can help you. 

K

Offline Aleph

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 04 January 13 09:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your advice. I will post to the main board and see how that goes.

Yes, I had thought of the possibility of him being base born and his mother using his father's surname. This happened with another of my ancestors but fortunately he was born in Scotland and his birth certificate had lots of information, including "illegitimate" written across it. I had searched a little along that line but will pursue it further.

Thanks again
Aleph