Author Topic: MICHAEL family Swansea - Jewish BDM records 1740-1880  (Read 16018 times)

Offline showard

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MICHAEL family Swansea - Jewish BDM records 1740-1880
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 06 September 18 18:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Stephanie!
Thank you so much for all the info you have passed along!... all so very useful!....
My Grandmother was Florence Amy Michael, born in Guernsey.  The Michaels actually moved to Guernsey for a short time and this is when my GGrandfather (Henry Lemon Michael) met and married Emily May Carre (his first wife).  According to the 1881 Census, Channel Islands, Lemon Hart Michael and family lived in St. Peter's Port, Guernsey.  Henry Lemon was 21 at the time and still living at home.  Then, according to 1891 England Census, the Michaels had all moved back to the London area (Battersea) including Henry who had remarried by then.  As I mentioned before, Henry left when my Gramma was very young, and she never saw nor heard of him again.
So Esther Mary Wakeford was Henry Lemon's second wife.  His divorce to Emily was registered in 1891.  I found much of this info on Ancestery one weekend when it was free.  They sometimes have it free over the long weekends.
Also, forgot to mention, if you google Lemon Hart Michael, he was a great artist - one thing my Mom kept mentioning to me.  I was able to find one of his paintings put up for auction, but haven't been able to find any more.  There must be some floating around London area I would think!
In 1903, my Gramma (Florence Amy Michael) married Thomas Maindonald in/from Guernsey and from there they immigrated to Canada in 1907.
The Michaels were quite impressive, weren't they? .... so smart, so talented!.. artists, lawyers ...
I've been googling the Brady Street Cemetery but Lemon Hart's burial doesn't seem to be recorded.  Did your daughter find his actual stone?  Noticed most are in Hebrew .. . hard to pick out?.. so neat!
Would you happen to know where Jacob and Rosy are buried?
Thanks so much again, and have a nice day :)
Susan

Offline hamburgmichael

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 06 September 18 20:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan, so annoying;  my reply seems to have vanished just as I was doing more researches for you.   The tombstone for Lemon Hart is in the Brady Street cemetary.   Unfortunately I cannot attach the photo to this message, but I could send you it via email if you like.  I found it by looking at the R Review: Lemon Hart & SonŽ Blackpool Spiced Rum
Written By Admin June 19, 2017.    Scroll down and you will find the photos at the end.   The tombstone is inscribed with both Hebrew and English;  easily decipherable.   I did know about Lemon Hart moving to Guernsey.   A coincidence as my maternal grandmother's family were the Careys.  Even stranger, a cousin married to the then bailiff, Sir Ambrose Sherwell had a portrait painted of him by Arthur Cadwgan Michael 1880-1965.   Quite excited, I emailed Jim in Australia but he doubted the connection as he could not find any record in the family tree.  As he says, Michael is quite a common Welsh surname.   All I can find is that there is very little known about him.  I have found one of Lemon Hart Michael's paintings - an unnamed European city somewhere - and thought it very good.  What a shame you haven't any yourself!  Have you googled James Lionel Michael who moved to Australia and became a minor poet plus other interests.   He was found drowned in mysterious circumstances having made a few enemies.   No, don't know whereabouts Jacob and Rosy are buried. That's all for the time being...... exciting isn't it?  Off to bed to read a good book.....!  BW, Stephanie
Norrish, Carey,Michael, Hutton
Guernsey, Swansea

Offline showard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 06 September 18 23:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Stephanie ... me again ...
Wow, I just can't believe ALL that has unfolded relating to the Michael family just within the last two months .... I had no idea all this was out there for me to discover.  Yes, I actually just read two nights ago about James Lionel who was found in the river.  How dreadful, same with the girl whose dress caught on fire ... that poor girl.  What a hard life those people must have lived.  I really wish I could meet them all and talk to them, don't you?
I have been working on a family book for a couple years now, and I lay in bed at night wondering just how to put this all together.  I think I need more pages!!  I find it all so intriguing and I can spend hours searching the different sites!
 ... I just found a picture of Lemon Hart's stone .....I googled what you said and it came up, along with a pic of him  ... thanks so much .... I think I had seen it before, but at the time, didn't know of the close connection!  Thank you for forwarding that info.
Also looking to find out where Lemon Hart Michael is buried, the artist, would you know?
And just reading your email again .... it was Lemon Hart Michael (the artist) who moved to Guernsey ... not Lemon Hart ..... there are too many same names here .... a bit confusing ... :)  I have to keep referring to my Michael family sheet  to ensure I have the names in correct order!
Time to make some dinner, time flies on here .... such fun!
Have a good night!  Susan

Offline hamburgmichael

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 07 September 18 10:46 BST (UK) »
Hello Susan;  gosh, you have done well and with such enthusiasm!  I don't think that there is an awful lot more I can do to help as you seem to be following all the leads.   My gt grandfather, Walter Amos Michael - son of Jacob Michael and Rosetta 'Rose' Hart was married three times, having been widowed on the first two occasions.   His third wife was Louisa Harriet Seppings whose gt gt uncle was Sir Robert Seppings, who from humble beginnings became Surveyor of the Royal Navy in 1832.   His only son, Edward, along with his wife and young sons was murdered during the siege at Cawnpore, India. The wives and children still alive were thrown down a well.  What a dreadful way to die.....  This is all documented.   Walter Amos was a good amateur painter and travelled a good deal, retiring to Ajaccaio, Corsica with his wife Louisa, where he died. For no given reason, he seems to have been awarded the Chevalier de l'Ordre des Saints Maurice et Lazare.  Louisa returned to England.  Walter's son by his second marriage, was my gt uncle, Walter Henry M, otherwise known as uncle Harry.   A very sweet man.   He married his cousin, Letty Maud Batchelor, whose mother's maiden name was Mary Michael.  They had no children, and after he was widowed, he invited my father's spinster sister, Phyllis to be his housekeeper.  I found her rather terrifying as she did not suffer fools gladly, and I always dreaded the invitation to have lunch with them at the end of every holiday.   He was very deaf and could never hear what I said, so Phyllis had to shout a version that wasn't always factual.   My mother at that stage was a widow - pretty and blond - and Phyllis, who was neither, feared that Uncle Harry, who liked blonds, would supplant her with my mother!  My father's brothers were both academics, and one of them, Maurice, spoke at least 5 languages and had his own literary agency.   The youngest brother, Ian, was out in Malawi and was Vice-Chancellor of the university and friend to Dr. Banda.  My father was not an academic.  He wanted to read medicine, but with two younger brothers to educate, he went out to learn how to plant tea in Ceylon at the age of 19 instead.   It was in Ceylon that he met and married my mother, whose father was also a tea planter.  So there is a bit of my family histoire.   I shall leave you be, but if you come up with anything new I would love you to share it.   What fun we are having.  With very best wishes, Stephanie
Guernsey, Swansea

Offline showard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 07 September 18 22:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Stephanie,
Your stories are so interesting ... thanks for the info!  Sounds like there were many artists within the Michael family.  Solicitors and artists - much smart and talented people!
Yes, I must say, I have gathered quite a bit of info on my own, thru Ancestry on free weekends and by just searching the various sites .. it's really amazing just how much info is out there now.  I think Google must add more and more info over the time!
And thinking about Jacob and Rosy, I don't think they would be buried in a Jewish cemetery, seeing as they were married in an Anglican church - their religion had obviously changed by then - such a fascinating story really.  But I may be wrong, so I will keep searching :)
Am working on a family tree, trying to piece together everyone now that I have more info.
Hope you have a nice weekend!
Cheers!  Susan

Offline hamburgmichael

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 08 September 18 08:08 BST (UK) »
Hello Susan, many thanks and do keep in touch.  I am puzzled as to these free access to Ancestry, something I haven't seen, so no wonder you have been able to research all the deaths, births and marriages.   I hope you have a lovely weekend as well.   Autumn is just breaking after an unbelievably good summer - for once.  No doubt we shall be in for a bad winter as a punishment, but in recent years these have been pretty mild.   So good to have met you through Rootschat.  I wish the 'Mike' who claimed to be a 4th cousin and would tell me more about the family that would not be on Ancestry, but sadly never got in touch again.  With very best wishes and good look with the family tree. Stephanie
Guernsey, Swansea

Offline showard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 09 September 18 02:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Stephanie!
I haven't heard any advertisements for a while now for 'free' access on Ancestry, they used to advise on radio and tv frequently, especially if a long weekend was approaching, especially for Family Day in February, but haven't heard anything for a while.  And they only open certain passages, last time it was UK records and this is when I got quite a bit info on the Michaels.  If you like, I can send you the screenshots I took, not sure if you want to post your email address here, but I'd be happy to send them, along with the one page I've been working on which goes back 7 generations from my Mom.  I've noted b-day, date/place of marriages and burials for the ones I know.  I keep adding as I go along.  I'm like you, I don't really care to pay for anything, as I think I've gathered quite a bit of info on my own, you just have to keep searching which is part of the fun :)
It has also cooled down over here, after such a HOT summer, and I much prefer it this way.  We had so many days of high humidity, I don't enjoy those days!
I was just over to London this past April, came with my daughter, granddaughter (1 year) and husband, who was attending a conference.  Only stayed one week.  Little did I know at the time, how close I was to all this family history.  This is why I want to go back.  My Father's family came from northern England, near Liverpool, which was too far to travel to at the time.  I thoroughly enjoyed London ... I think it's one of my favorite places ever visited!
Yes, please keep in touch!  I think it's amazing we've come in contact here!!
Have a nice day!  Susan

Offline hamburgmichael

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 09 September 18 08:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan, Rootschat advises not to air email addresses, so better take their advice, which is a pity.  I have quite a few relevant dates myself, a lot gleaned from my uncle.   Take a look at Selim Solomon married to Sophie Nathan - both from Newcastle.  You will find him a fascinating man.  Details are on the internet as well as a background history from a man called Martin of JGSB Newsletter January 2016.   You will note that Selim's mother was an Amelia Woolf, daughter of Lemon Woolf of Penzance!So there is another connection with the family.  We live in the North of England but far up nearer Cumbria.   Very beautiful part of the country but it can be chilly.   We don't care much for London anymore, all so changed from when we lived and worked there and it was safer with not so many immigrants.  But my two granddaughters work and love it there so the young don't have the same concerns.   All the best, Stephanie
Guernsey, Swansea

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 09 September 18 12:56 BST (UK) »
you can exchange email addresses via pm, just don't put them on the public boards. Click on the icon under the poster's details that looks like a letter.

;)
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb