Author Topic: Wardley Street Wandsworth  (Read 66872 times)

Offline Dragoman

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wardley Street Wandsworth
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday 16 October 13 11:08 BST (UK) »
Facing Wardley Street, on the other side of Garratt Lane was a row of shops. On the corner was a carpet shop, next to it was Sutton's - newsagents and tobacconists, then there was Hearn's the greengrocer. I think the owner was Bob Hearn and he had a son and daughter - Mark and Diane. Then next to that was a grocery store called Pickford's, I think. This was in the 1950's/early 60's. Does anyone remember those shops?

On reflection I think that the grocery shop was called Pickard's not Pickford's.
Etches, Plant, Nunn

Offline routeone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday 09 April 14 16:31 BST (UK) »
I have found a photo of Wardley Street taken in the 1930's by the look of it.
Not sure how to post it though. Any advice welcome.

Offline Henrywoodley1

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Thursday 10 April 14 19:40 BST (UK) »
Hi all,I have a photo of my grandfather Arthur Lewis woodley, out side "The prince of Wales " wardley st with a group of others, looks like there of on an outing. How can I share it ??

Offline janet chambers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Friday 11 April 14 18:22 BST (UK) »
click on photo email on your email page and then click on the paper clip icon and it should pick the photo you want to send, then just send as you would any other email. good luck

Offline BobbyIrwin

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Sunday 04 May 14 09:17 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately I do not  have a photo of Wardley St.  The reason I am writing this is because I am a new member and Wardley St. triggered a childhood memory - I believe.  I went to Littleton St P.H. School and was taken to and from school by ambulance (20 seater coach).  One of the other pupils picked up was a boy named Noah Ridley and I feel certain he lived in Wardley St.  Noah's mother had a beautiful singing voice which I seem to remember was presented on a radio programme.  Wardley St. stuck in my memory because of its reputation as a rough area where policemen patrolled in pairs, similar to Larch and Zennor Rds in Balham where I lived.
I would be pleased to have my memory confirmed or denied, I know Wardley St. was at the Wandsworth end of Garrett Lane on the left going towards Wandsworth.
Regards Bobby

Offline Courtney Mercer

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 13:03 BST (UK) »
hi my names Karen goddard and I was told my father lived down lydden grove but may of passed

Offline badger gamble

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Monday 02 March 15 13:46 GMT (UK) »
I came out of the henry prince estate. It was a rough place back the 60's when I was a teenager. We had a lot of travellers sited in Haldane place. Some of the nicest people I have known came off the site back then. The wads, the Wilson's tango, browns, and many more gypsy people. All good stuff. I miss those days still. The henry prince was a great place to live back then.
Happy

Offline Dragoman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Monday 02 March 15 14:47 GMT (UK) »
In the late 1950's I used to be in the choir at St.John the Divine church which was right next to the Henry Prince Estate. The main reason for being in the choir was so that the vicar would allow us to attend the boys club on the corner of Bendon Valley. The Henry Prince Estate, Lydden Grove and Wardley Street were all pretty rough places in those days but we used to play all around there and I don't recall getting into into too much trouble. I knew a boy on the Estate. I think his name was Kenny Jeeves.
Etches, Plant, Nunn

Offline anne.stephenson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Monday 25 April 16 12:29 BST (UK) »
Hello Philip,My Nan was moved from Wardley street to Aboyne Estate her Name was dolly Miles and her husband ernest or ernie Miles was a rag and bone man they had 2 daughters Doreen and Brenda.Dolly lived opposite Rose...Grandad drank in the prince of wales .He died of throat cancer in 1977...My dad was always horrible to my mum Doreen he used to tell her to 'get back to Wardley street where you belong' ,which is why I looked it up.He was always calling her a gypsy.I remember she did used to teach me gypsy language when he was out! lol! she said she was a Romany and always loved the 'Penfolds' :)