Author Topic: Roxburghshire Parish Register - Archibald Douglas & Anna Scott  (Read 3713 times)

Offline Stephen123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Hatcher family of Hampshire England who live in Oz
    • View Profile
Roxburghshire Parish Register - Archibald Douglas & Anna Scott
« on: Tuesday 26 April 11 03:22 BST (UK) »
Hi I am seeking death records for my Archibald Douglas & Anna Scott in Cavers Scotland.

Archibald was born about 1668 in Cavers, the son of William Douglas & Katherine Rigg.
Anna Scott was born about 1678, the daughter of Francis Scott & unknown mum.
Archibald was about 25 years & Anna was about 15 years old when they married.

Archibald & Anna had about 12 children and they all lived at Cavers House in Roxburghshire. 
We have been told Archibald may have died sometime around 1741, age about 73?

I would like to find out exactly when & where my Archibald & Anna died & were buried if anyone can please help me.

Thanks 

England: Ashem, Booth, Carter, Dealy, Hall, Hatcher(Hampshire), Leighton(Bedfordshire), Littlely, Peer, Wells(Bedfordshire), Player, Pulley, Rope, Rowe(Cornwall), Rushby, Tindall, Troon.
Scotland: Anderson, Campbell & MacKay(Fife), Adamson, Davidson, Campbell, Kennedy, Wallace(Ayreshire), Fotheringham, Gairns, Gardiner, Hogg, Sorley(Clackmannan), Lees, Luckie(Perthshire), McDonald & McLean(Isle of Skye) Duff(Glasgow)
Ireland: Kelly, Landers & Parrington(Tipperary), McConnell(Enniskillen),Tinkler

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Roxburghshire Parish Register - Archibald Douglas & Anna Scott
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 April 11 12:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Stephen

There is a corresponding notice in a newspaper for a 1741 death. From the Universal Spectator and Weekly Journal (London, England), Saturday, July 18, 1741:

Edinburgh July 6th, on Friday last died, at his Seat at Teviotdale, Archibald Douglas, Esq. of Cavers. He was a gentleman of the strictest honour and integrity and steadily attached to the interest of his country which he served in various capacities and always with applause. He was sometime Receiver General and Post Master for Scotland.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 April 11 12:53 BST (UK) »
Likely death notice for Anna Scott I think. From London Evening Post (London, England), March 8, 1744 - March 10, 1744:

A few days since died Mrs Douglas, relict of Archibald Douglas, Esq., and mother to the present William Douglas Esq., Knight of the Shire for Roxburghshire.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Stephen123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 April 11 22:26 BST (UK) »
Hi MonicaL, thank you very much.
England: Ashem, Booth, Carter, Dealy, Hall, Hatcher(Hampshire), Leighton(Bedfordshire), Littlely, Peer, Wells(Bedfordshire), Player, Pulley, Rope, Rowe(Cornwall), Rushby, Tindall, Troon.
Scotland: Anderson, Campbell & MacKay(Fife), Adamson, Davidson, Campbell, Kennedy, Wallace(Ayreshire), Fotheringham, Gairns, Gardiner, Hogg, Sorley(Clackmannan), Lees, Luckie(Perthshire), McDonald & McLean(Isle of Skye) Duff(Glasgow)

Offline Clare Fowler

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.clarefowler.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 May 11 20:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Stephen

I have the book of transcribed monumental inscriptions for Cavers & Kirkton, which include Cavers Old Churchyard.  While I can't find a specific stone with the names of Archibald Douglas and Anna Scott, it does appear that there is a burial vault for the 'Douglas of Cavers' family.  Unfortunately, I have no idea how or where you would find records of who is buried in that vault - possibly someone at the Borders Family History Society would have the knowledge of where to search - www.bordersfhs.org.uk

Cheers,
Clare
ELLIOT, CROZIER, HAY, AITCHISON, COWAN - Roxburghshire
BETT - Kinross-shire, Fife and Glasgow
CHAMBERS, BRUFF, WESTMACOTT - Glasgow
And many, many more...

Offline Stephen123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 14 May 11 01:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Clare, thank you very much.

Offline epfedin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 23 May 11 12:36 BST (UK) »
Stephen

Borders FHS recorded the MI for Old Cavers in 2005 but didn't go into the church because of it's dangerous state so didn't record any plaques inside. 

The church has been converted into a private house now but there were conditions attached to the retention of the vault and the protection of the Douglas memorial plaque.  Unfortunately, BFHS don't have a photograph of the plaque and I don't think Hawick Archaeological Soc have either. 

The planning application and conditions can be seen on Scottish Border Council planning website (Planning App 06/01975/FUL).  It might be worthwhile contacting the owners - they may have taken photographs

Elma

Offline Stephen123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 May 11 04:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Elma, will do.
thank you very much.