Author Topic: Moore  (Read 4472 times)

Offline lynzg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Moore
« on: Tuesday 26 April 11 15:14 BST (UK) »
My great uncle has told me that my great great uncle died in a car crash between 1950-51.
Apparently 8 others died, and would have been in the local papers and news.

Just wondered if anyone had any further info on this?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Moore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 April 11 15:50 BST (UK) »
The Irish civil registration index is online and goes up to 1958- if you find his death will help narrow down possible date of death (such recent newspapers are not likely to be online)-
http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=collectionDetails&c=fs%3A1408347
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline irishrose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 April 11 14:44 BST (UK) »
There was a big crash around that time with a mini bus and a car and as you say 8 were killed. I remember it still being talked about in my grandparents house in the 60s, and my Mam, (who was forever collecting newspaper clippings) had a piece about it years ago.   I think several of the dead and badly injured were from Carlow.  Where are your Moores from?.  My grandmother was Mary Moore from Carlow town

Offline lynzg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 April 11 12:49 BST (UK) »
Do you know which paper it was in so I can try and get a copy of it online somewhere?
They are also from Carlow too :)

Offline irishrose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 April 11 13:28 BST (UK) »
The  Nationalist is the local newspaper but its archives are not on line.  They are on microfilm both in the Carlow library and in the National library in Dublin.  I think the clipping my mother had was from the Irish Press (which is no longer published) but The Irish Independent would have carried the story as well.  It was huge news, not just because of the numbers killed, but because there weren't that many crashes then.   Can you narrow down the date a little?  If I am at my mothers house I will check if the newspaper clipping  is there still,   but we did a major clearout last year and I think a lot of the old clippings were dumped if they didn't relate to our family.

Offline lynzg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 13:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your responses. I have recently found the newspaper article on the Irish News Archive file :)