Author Topic: Ceopeady Bridge?? is whre Olive Cromwll beat Charles 1st in battle  (Read 1999 times)

Offline susanhill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Ceopeady Bridge?? is whre Olive Cromwll beat Charles 1st in battle
« on: Sunday 24 April 05 19:39 BST (UK) »
HI, I am looking for the name of a bridge that is in New Banbury,
Ceopeady Bridge?? is whre Olive Cromwll beat Charles 1st in battle
I am looking for the correct name of this bridge, can anyone help
Howkins

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ceopeady Bridge?? is whre Olive Cromwll beat Charles 1st in battle
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 April 05 21:18 BST (UK) »
Cropredy Bridge  - also spelt Cropready 8)
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 April 05 21:32 BST (UK) »
An inconclusive, small-ish battle, and although the Royalists beat a retreat eventually, they suffered very few casualties.  Sir William Waller lost about 700 men for the Parliamentary cause, including many deserters.
I'm not sure, but I don't think Oliver Cromwell was present on the battlefield here on 29th June 1644; he was certainly at Marston Moor, just outside York, 3 days later, though...
Keith

Offline Pete E

• RootsChat Member
  • Man in his natural environment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 May 05 14:37 BST (UK) »
The Battlefields Trust will be unveiling an interpretation panel to this battle on the 26th June this year. The panel will be situated next to the modern bridge and is one in a series of panels planned as part of the Trusts' Battlefields trail which links the battles of Edgcote 1469, Cropredy 1644 and Edgehill 1642.
Northumberland; Mann, Lynn, Waters, Pyle, Murray.   Yorkshire; Ellis, Heckison, Proctor.<br />Lincolnshire; Wilkinson, Dawson.<br />Cumberland; Doran, Murray. Cheshire; Sutton,

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 May 05 17:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that fremund,
I'll put that in the notebook, as I have a bit of a passion for standing on ancient battlefield sites and letting the imagination run riot...
Keith

Offline Pete E

• RootsChat Member
  • Man in his natural environment
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 May 05 16:09 BST (UK) »
Your welcome Keith, the unveiling takes place at 1.30pm; will I see you there?

Have you joined the battlefields trust yet? We are a small group and always looking for new members to boost the ranks.

If you haven't already found it you may find the trust online resource centre at http://www.battlefieldstrust.com/resource-centre of great interest. Information, maps, aerial photographs and more about many british battlefields.

Cheers
Northumberland; Mann, Lynn, Waters, Pyle, Murray.   Yorkshire; Ellis, Heckison, Proctor.<br />Lincolnshire; Wilkinson, Dawson.<br />Cumberland; Doran, Murray. Cheshire; Sutton,

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 May 05 18:49 BST (UK) »
Hi again, Freemund,
I'll have to see whether I'm able to make it on the 26th, and I'll certainly consider joining the Battlefields Trust.  The latest furore is of course over the plan to build over the battle site at Hastings (well, Battle, actually)...
Keith