Author Topic: Elizabeth Bredrie  (Read 1994 times)

Offline maggie b

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Bredrie
« on: Thursday 28 April 11 15:54 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth Bredrie, born abt 1801, is my Gt Grandmother/ 3. The only info I have about her is that she moved to Yorkshire and married Benjamin Whitehead in 1822; she gives her birthplace on census forms as Edinburgh. Can anyone suggest ways I could develop her family tree? This is the first relative I have found from north of the border and the web sites I have used to date seem to only detail English records. Thanks
Maggie B

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Bredrie
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 April 11 15:57 BST (UK) »
Have you tried the IGI and Scotland's People?

You might have to be flexible with that surname.  ;)

Just looked on the IGI - no mentions at all of that name in Scotland ... nor in the 41, 51 or 61 Scottish census .....

How did you discover what her surname was?

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 April 11 18:04 BST (UK) »
 :)
the 1822 marriage is on the IGI - benjamin whitehead & elizabeth bredrie

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline maggie b

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 April 11 15:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for your interest. Yes, I found the surname on the IGI for the marriage to Benjamin Whitehead. Interesting that you can't find a Bredrie in Scottish census for later years. I will check census forms with Ancestry if her family maybe moved to England with her.and if so do their details reveal more info about birthplaces. What ever the outcome of my research, I'm so pleased to find out I have some Scottish blood in me and it might help explain why I have been drawn to the western highlands on holidays for many years!!
best wishes
Maggie B

Offline Unė kthimi i papenduar

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 April 11 19:19 BST (UK) »
Looking at Scotlandspeople for a birth in Edinburgh in a broad time scale using the name Elizabeth Br and ignoring the more common surnames produced - there were not that many - the following does stand out as a possibility/sound alike.

08/07/1796   BRODIE   ELIZABETH   FRANCIS BRODIE/ELIZABETH MARTIN FR355   F   EDINBURGH   EDINBURGH CITY CITY/MIDLOTHIAN   685/01 0410 0140

and there is a Francis  in the 1841 census aged 60 at 4 Duncan Street with the following available for download, showing his date of death:

BRODIE   FRANCIS   16/03/1842   WRITER TO THE SIGNET   INVENTORY ; TRUST DISPOSITION ; SETTLEMENT   EDINBURGH SHERIFF COURT INVENTORIES   SC70/1/61

The house at 4 Duncan Street is still standing having been built c 1825 and you can see it on Google Street view - the white door next to the Edinburgh Unionist's Club blue (of course) door.     The 1851 census has no listings for 4 on FreenCen but there was a breakdown of No 3 into a,b,c etc.

However there is also this to confuse you:

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=:3334474&id=I2124

The Margaret was his daughter by his second wife Margaret Kerr who died in 1813 as did another daughter Margaret - (South Leith).    He lived in Northumberland Street at that time.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 April 11 01:45 BST (UK) »
Maggie, It seems that this marriage is the only record of the surname 'Bredrie" (with this spelling). I can see nothing in the English census for 41 or 51 (using that exact spelling), nor does a google search come up with any results at all.

Her Scottish accent may have been misinterpreted and written as it sounded. There are numerous possibilities about what the correct surname could have been, such as the Brodie found by ukip above. It's that second 'r' which puzzles me - otherwise the name could easily have been Brodie, Brady etc ....

Have you looked at the original Parish Record in case you can see the surname as something other than Bredrie?

In the censuses that you have Elizabeth on, is there anyone else living with the family who may be a relative? Relatives are sometimes enumerated as 'lodgers' or 'visitors' etc, rather than 'sister' for example ...  :-\

Offline maggie b

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 May 11 17:37 BST (UK) »
A big thank you to all the advice, it has given me something to pursue; I have access to Ancestry at my local library, plus living in Yorkshire I might be able to access parish records; should keep me busy for awhile!
best wishes
Maggie b

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 01 May 11 23:11 BST (UK) »
Good luck Maggie. If you find anything please let us know.