Author Topic: Edward Cox  (Read 3812 times)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Cox
« Reply #9 on: Friday 29 April 11 00:35 BST (UK) »
John Cox b 31.7.1902 was christened 24.8.1902 at St Luke Hackney - parents Edward & Alice 201 Morning Land.  Edwards occ was firewood dealer

Re: 1901 christening for Edward - thanks Ian - I have amended my reply above to avoid any further confusion
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Sam Jones

• RootsChat Extra
  • Thomas G. Stemmann (1845 - 1923)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 29 April 11 00:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information everyone. I'm sure Blanche is the sister of Alice, and the census keeper just made a mistake. The death of bay Emma explains why she is not present in 1901. It appears as if Alice was with James Moffett until his disappearance. One question I have is why on John Cox's birth certificate Alice is given as formerly Cox, and not formerly Moffett?

Still need a marriage for Edward and Alice.

Cheers

SJJ
Would love to hear from anyone who has the surname STEMMAN/STEMMANN in their tree

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 29 April 11 01:08 BST (UK) »
One question I have is why on John Cox's birth certificate Alice is given as formerly Cox, and not formerly Moffett?

Because Moffett was not her maiden name - it was her former married name.  Even if she had been a widow and legally married to Edward - birth certs would still show her as formerly Cox
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Sam Jones

• RootsChat Extra
  • Thomas G. Stemmann (1845 - 1923)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 01 May 11 00:22 BST (UK) »
Still cannot find a marriage for Edward and Alice. Is it possible that Alice was able to pretend she was married to Edward as her maiden name was Cox?

Would love to hear from anyone who has the surname STEMMAN/STEMMANN in their tree

Offline Jeuel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 07 May 11 11:56 BST (UK) »
Of course.  You just tell people you are married.  They are very unlikely to demand a marriage certificate as proof unless they are officials.  Lots of people on the census pretended they were married to the people they were living with.  Nothing new about cohabitation. ;D
Chowns in Buckinghamshire
Broad, Eplett & Pope in St Ervan/St Columb Major, Cornwall
Browning & Moore in Cambridge, St Andrew the Less
Emms, Mealing & Purvey in Cotswolds, Gloucestershire
Barnes, Dunt, Gray, Massingham in Norfolk
Higho in London
Matthews & Nash in Whichford, Warwickshire
Smoothy, Willsher in Coggeshall & Chelmsford, Essex